1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro diesel tire falls off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rhowerton, Apr 1, 2008.

1. rhowerton

rhowerton LawnSite Member

We have a Toro diesel (60 inch deck). Runs great. Right rear tire just fell off today. Sheared 3 of the 4 bolts off that hold the wheel on. Took it down to the mechanic and he said this happens all of the time with diesels (exmark, toro) because the power is so strong. Then they told me they put stickers on all of the new mowers (diesels) because the lugs become loose and fall off. I was puzzles. We have always had gas mowers and not once have we ever had this happen. Just curious if this is a normal thing. We have to get the bolts replaced and a new rim. Not covered under warranty. Just seems bizaar to me. We generally keep up with the equipment pretty well. Seems like an engineering issue to me.
  2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Doesn't sound right to me. Most of the extra power should be going to the deck. I know the diesels usually have bigger wheel motors, but I wouldn't think enough to cause that. Sounds like somebody messed something up with either the hub, or tightening of the lugs, either too loose or too tight.
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had that happen before. In my case the lug bolts/nuts were'nt torqued to the proper specifications. Once torqued it never happened again. I don't buy the diesel excuse, we've had plenty of them with no problems.
  4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Yea that sure does not sound right..A diesel has more torque than gas but not enough to bust the bolt like you said..:dizzy:
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have been around Grasshopper diesel-powered mowers for years and have never seen a wheel fall of like that. Toro has some design flaw in those machines if what the mechanic says is true.
  6. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

Had this happen a few years back we figured it was attributed to continuous use on steep hills sides putting pressure on the bolts that it is not designed for. It may very well happen more with diesels due to the extra weight of the machine but not the extra power of th diesel.
  7. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Could be from the vibrations. Because diesels do vibrate like heck. Coulda worked the nut loose.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Lugs were not properly torqued and the added weight of the diesel along with more torque sheared them. If they were tight there wouldn't have been any mowement so they wouldn't have sheared, this can happen on any mower without properly torqued lug nuts.
  9. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had it happen two years ago to me. Luckily I caught it before it actually came off so I was able to get it on the trailer and to the shop. Sucked big time. Check the lugs every day now. Hindsight is 20/20.
  10. akvadam

akvadam LawnSite Member

I cant believe it wouldnt be under warranty. Its diffrent then say a flat tire I could understand that... Id ask your dealer for the toro distributors # sounds like one of those its not covered, you pay the dealer the dealer takes your money and then gets toro to cover him. Dealer gets paid twice scenarios.. That should be covered IMHO.