Toro Dingo 425 vs. Ditch Witch

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bruinsfan, Apr 27, 2005.

1. bruinsfan

bruinsfan LawnSite Member

Looking for feedback on these vibratory plows. Which one would you recommend. Price is not an object, only $1000 dollars difference between the two. Looking for dependable machine. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Neither , get a Vermeer LM 42 , Or a Burkeen . Last you forever

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

The ditch witch plow is the better implement. It is the same shaker as the 255. The toro plow leaves a lot to be desired. I have used both. As far as platform, I'm not sure there is a lot of difference between the two skid steers. There is a thread in the machinery section about this and it seems to me to be just like everything else. There are pro's and con's to both. The DW plow will fit on either steer though and pulls much better.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

there are some significant differences b/t the 2 machines. we demo'd both a lot.
    we bought the 425, BUT only becuase of the price difference ( $4K less for the same package).... but after buying i had doubts if it was worth it. All the ditch witch attachments were MUCH heavier duity

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

...unless they took all the rocks out of Maine. That recommended Vermeer is the heavyweight of the bunch. If you had to do a lot of work on rocky slopes, the Case Maxisneaker would be worth a look, because it can be fitted with dual wheels, which makes it harder to tip over. Ditch Witch makes the 410sx, which is only a bit lighter than the Vermeer LM-42, and it can be fitted with dual wheels, not to mention a front-mounted backhoe.

6. YardPro

wet boots...

he is asking about a multi tool platform, NOT a dadicated unit...

the unit really is unimportant, it's the vib attachment that matters.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the soil is different. In hard rocky clay, you want a dedicated lawn plow. The heavier the better. Just because someone sells a multi-tool platform doesn't mean it is the best choice for every situation. The bigger plows outweigh the skid-steer platforms by more than half a ton, and have more than half again the horsepower.

8. YardPro

gottcha....

you're right about the regional differences....

here the tracked dingo and the sk are tons better than any wheeled unit.. we have such soft sandy soils that the flotation and traction of the tracks are the best way to go.

BUT the guy asked which of the two plow's is best, not what plow ( out of all the plow's ) is the best..

kinda of like asking which is a better mower exmark of hustler and someone saying toro......LOL :rolleyes:

9. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

For my two cents, I personally wouldn't but a toro. I have a 255sx and like it. yes up here in Maine people do use Toros with plows as well as other brands. One guy I talked to was in love with his Boxter mini. Said he had several 255s but liked the Boxter much better. As far as mini skids go though I have been reserching them, and I do like the boxter, but I like the Vermeer better. Saw one up close in Topsham, and is built heavier duty than ones I have used in the past. The problem I see with the minis is their length with the plow on them. seems long to me.

10. YardPro

boxer looks the best on paper ...but after i demo'd one i chanced my mind.......
    vermeer does not make a track unit, so out of the question for us.....

here the tracks would outweigh any additional legnth...