toro dingo sod roller

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kyfireman2004, Dec 11, 2007.

1. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i've seen a picture of one on here somewhere. i think they said they do like 20-25 yard rolls.
  2. Tim C.

Tim C. LawnSite Member

I think Yardpro has a picture of one under the "miniskid revisited" thread in the Tractor forum, I think!
  3. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

If you buy a dingo, get a tracked machine , they are awesome. We love ours and if has already paid for it's self in about 3 months. If should lift around 600 ponds with rider.
  4. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

we got a wheeled dingo with a sod roller. the rolls that we carry are 10 sq. yds and 21" wide.they are half the size of the big rolls we use with our skidsteer sod roller. the dingo roller gets a little tippy if you don't carry the roll tucked under against the machine. the track units might hold a little more weight?.wide open sod jobs the rolls are the way to go!
  5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

who makes the unit? thanks

6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We use " Dingo rolls " on big jobs , use a 425 tracked unit with no problem - you need someone to pull the seams tight with a garden rake after you lay a roll. The attachments are mechanical or hydraulic - the mechanical one is a lot less expensive and some guys have made their own , just slide a metal rod through the roll which fits into notches on either side . The hydraulic one kind of grabs the roll and is quicker. Down here the sod comes in full rolls that are split in the middle that are separated by the truck driver as he unloads . The big rolls are backed with a plastic mesh to hold them together that is aggravating if you need to trim or make a cut. Some turf farms charge for the core that the sod is wrapped around , some don't. You can get your money back if you return the cores , kind of a pain. You get bad places in the big rolls that would be culled if it was squares or small rolls - time consuming to cut out and replace because of the mesh backing. To summarize these random comments , I still prefer small sod to big sod - but it is the only way to go if its more than 5000 sq ft ( at least that is my cutoff ) By the way , imo the Toro Dingo 425 or 525 is the only machine to get if you are going to lay a lot of sod - the wide track and ease of operation are unmatched.
  7. Keystone

Keystone LawnSite Member

The wide track machines will hold about 240 square feet per roll if it is 20" by 100' or like I use most often a 30" by 80' roll. If you check with different sod suppliers ask what type of roll they can cut for you. The 420tx will work but it has more ground pressure because of the narrow track design and when you get over on another run of sod it will leave a deeper impression on it. If it is wet when you are laying the sod a wide track is more stable and will give you the extra traction you may need to climb any hills. I would also recommend a stand plate to give extra counter weight with wet rolls. The hydraulic sod handler I have is made by a small company and it costs about $1,300 new or you buy just a female quick attach Dingo plate and build your own manual handler.
  8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

who makes the roller? what kind of production do you get out of it, like how long to lay a roll of 240? thanks