Toro Dingo

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cpel2004, Sep 29, 2007.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can someone please tell me what & how a box blade rake works (Pro's and Con's). I'm trying to find a more efficient way to remove existing turf, grade/level etc for turf installation. I'm sick of using a sod cutter. Toro's box rake looks very interesting but Im not sure exactly what it does. I've checked with other landscapers any they keeping telling the only way is with a skid steer or sod cutter

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If you are talking about a harley rake... mine is irreplaceable. I have one for my Dingo and my Cat. The 48" harley for my dingo has the absolute best finishing capability of anything I have ever seen. You don't have to touch a hand rake. It is great for jobs less that 5k sq feet and patch jobs.

Another guy on here swears by the Toro cultivator... I have never used one of these but they are supposed to bury the spoils so there is nothing to haul off.

3. cpel2004

Lawnworks, can I use it for sod installation. I dont know how they work? What does it do to the existing turf. Im looking for something that will remove the turf. I looked at the Toro's website and it seemed like it would remove the turf and do minor leveling. Is that the case? Max. removal would be 7k-10k

4. Lawnworks

from usa

Yes that is right on. They are great for sod installation. You make your first pass just tilling the ground. The roller with carbide teeth will till about 4-8" down depending on your soil conditions. Then on your second pass, you put some weight on the front caster wheels and just skim the surface of the soil removing all of the grass, rock, etc that you just tilled up. Kind of acts like a box blade, but with the roller spinning you are leaving the dirt and just pulling the spoils. You might have to make one more finishing pass to get everything level. I usually just pull all of the trash to one side then scoop it up in the bucket.

I paid 6k for my 48" harley rake... the smaller harley rakes are nearly impossible to find used. But I would do it over agian if I had to.

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i have been looking at at 425 tracked dingo with 123hrs. comes with a bucket,forks, brush grapple, brush hog, and a harley rake. all for 23k, i bet i could get it for 18 or 19k. after reading the great things you have to say i want it even more.

6. cpel2004

Hey Lawnworks thanks for all the good info. Its amazing that more guys down here dont use them. I think I will rent one for my next job. I appreciate the feedback.

7. Lawnworks

from usa

18k would be a good deal... the bush hog and the harley are hard to find used. My 425 gets used practically everyday. They are very easy to maintain as well.

8. Lawnworks

from usa

Rent one and let us know what you think. In GA, harley rakes are a necessity for sod jobs. Sod cutters just seem like they would take forever.

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i dont know what they are called but i also would like to get a pair of tree grabbers, they hydraulically hold and place a balled and bagged tree. i think they would be alot better then a ball cart.

10. Lawnworks

from usa

When I do bnbs, I just use a tree boom. Much cheaper.