1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Dingos

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cp, Feb 12, 2003.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a machine that can compete with the Toro Dingo?

Look at one this week and am very impressed. I like the single power unit with multiple attachments.

let me know if anybody has got one or has used one and how you like it.

thanks Chris..
  2. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

The powerhouse http://www.powerhouseequipment.com/ unit is very impressive for the price. Have used one in demo on job site. Would buy this one (have used others on demo) if we were not so dependant on skid steer. With Regards... devildog
  3. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

i have a dingo 322 with the standard bucket, tiller, augers, trencher and tree fork...i use it mainly as a post hole digger, for trenching in irrigation and electrical runs, and for loading wheelbarrows (it's too slow to use to move bulk materials)...the tiller works really well, and i've used the hydraulic breaker attachement for taking out steps and walkways...heard one time that there was a stump grinder on the way, but haven't seen one...hear too that the ramrod attachements will fit the dingo,, but haven't tried any...it definitely has its place...has some drawbacks...very hot to use in the summer, as you stand right up against the motor...it can't lift a lot, and it's very unstable on hills (probably feels a little less stable than it is)...driving it on or off a trailer is pretty unnerving until you get used to it...check into the gehl, kanga, ramrod and powertrac as well...i used the powertrac 24-something one time and liked it...
  4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a 425 dingo. I kinda like the walk behind. It is a powerful machine to be as small as it is. Also the controls on the 425 are great. You can drive the machine with 1 hand and do all the turning and still operate the bucket at the same time. It is hard to do with the prowler or the smaller dingos.
  5. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

There are several different types now. Kanga has one and even Bobcat has one now. I have only used the Dingo( I cannot remember the model#, but it is the one with tracks) and they do work well. Keep the bucket low:D , I tipped one once and the only thing I could get it back up with was chains and tie downs. Yeah, it took about 3 hours:cry:
  6. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I could never justify the hefty price tag for these type of machines. They are small, underpowered, and are limited in the type of work you can do in my opinion. However, we do more larger construction projects so for me it would not make sense., but for a small scale jobs, I guess they work great.
  7. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

The dingo is a great machine but as stated the price is way to high.I would buy a nice used skid ster for the prce of a dingo.j.m.o
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a used or new Bobcat 553. Bigger, you can ride, and you have a little more control over what kind of jobs you can take on with it. Good luck!
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we have the 222 and lots of attatchments. we use it every day, and love it. at 560 hours it keeps on ticking. our next machine will be the powertrac 1430, which is priced similar but lifts 2x ( 1200 rated, 2400lbs tip)as much. No skid steer fo us now because it tears up everything and then you have to fix the lawn. the dingo and powertrac can be used everyday and almost everywhere. the dingo is an excellent first machine, and the powertrac is a logical 2nd to augment the dingo' s shortcomings. our third purchase will be a used large skid steer for the really big jobs and fast loading.

The new ramrod or the boxer lift alittle more than the dingo ( aprox. 600-800lbs), a little higher, and are definetly worth a test drive, as an alternative to the dingo. The diesel dingo is the smallest one I would consider in the dingo line. the tx425 can't be ridden without modifications, it is a walkbehind only. you will get tired. Daveg
  10. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I just created a new cover up attachment for my 425 and I backfill a trench with 8 heads per zone spaced 30' in about 20 minutes. It works great for what I do.