1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro distributer stopped me!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 12, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I was in a Lawn and Gardern Center parking lot that sells Toro getting ready to leave when a Toro distributor stopped me after seeing the Exmark on my trailer and tells me I'm making a mistake buying Exmark. He goes on about how the Toro decks are 7 ga. all over and have bigger spindles and is just a better unit all the way around and I should start buying from this guy he supplies to. He actuallly had about 3 of us cornered telling us how much better that Toro is and how even though they own Exmark they still compete directly with them. Well I left scratching my head and not sure what to think. Exmark seems to be much more popular around here. So you guys that have owned both I would like your input about what he said. Is the Toro a better machine? I have a 27 hp Lazer Z.
  2. I dunno. I've never owned an Exmark. I have looked at exmark and from what I've seen the distributor was correct in what he was telling you.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ahh... this was only a 'competitive spirit' sales pitch thing.

However, the Toro does have those selling points over eXmark.

Structurally speaking though, they are the same machine from mid-frame back.
    The Toro is beefier out front, frame rails and all.

I went through the same thing with a Toro rep. Good guy though, and I had met him several times on previous occasions. So I was able to "rib" him good when he really got into me about the HP. I said "well, if Toro is sooo good, then why does eXmark have to build their machines for them?"... to which he had no real reply, but it was all in good fun.
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our dealer switched in 05 from Exmark to Toro.We do not have an Exmark with the triton deck, therefore I cant comment on the Triton's performance, ours have Ultra cut and TriAvantage decks.Cut wise, I think the Turbo Force shades the UltraCut Exmarks.The TurboForce deck is built indestructible, all 7ga steel.The TurboForce spindles are greasable, not no maintenance like Exmarks.As Envy posted they both share many common traits.
  5. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I was under the impression that TORO owns Exmark... why would they try and screw their own company over?
  6. Envy Lawn Service

And as Bill posts, I would have to agree totally....

Except well, in my conditions, the Turbo Force cuts way more than a shade better.
    The Toro is a better package in my opinion.
    It's just not as pretty as the eXmarks... lol.
  7. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I have only had my Toro for a couple of days but I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I chose the Toro over the Exmark, however my decision was based alot on the Dealers I had to chose from.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Me too, except my situation was opposite at that time.
    So for the same reason, I made the opposite decision.
    I would have been happier with the Toro machine though.

Well now a year later, the tables are totally turned.
    The local dealer situation couldn't be more opposite.
    So needless to say, I will not be making another local eXmark purchase.
  9. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I've driven both, and I feel the Exmark is by far more superior than the Toro. The toro seemed to be really underpowered compared to the Exmark. If it were up to me I would've told the guy to get lost.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All I've ever owned is Toro because they are built like tanks and to me Toro is to lawnmowers what Xerox is to copy machines.
    And I would've told the guy to get lost as well.