Toro Doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williamslawn, Aug 18, 2002.

1. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

What do I need to install doubles on a Toro Z mower? The Toro has a different type of mounting system for the blades.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Here is how I did it. Put what will be your top blade into the "saddle" as I call it. Put one or two big, thick flat washers up against that blade. Then put your second blade up against the flat washers and tighten down the bolt. The flat washer(s) will shim down the second blade so it clears the turned-down lip of the blade saddle. I found that one washer was enough, but I do not recall what size it was. You only need to shim down about 1/8 inch or so. Hope this helps.:)

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Mowingman, that sounds like it will work, but I'd rather have the two blades lie flat , just got my Toro Z couple weeks ago and would like to run doubles (thats all I run on my wb's) I might try your trick for now, only afraid blades will be too low and might cause excessive blowout:confused: I will probally wait till winter and take saddles off and mill a notch crossways so the lower blade will sit up in the saddle against the upper blade without hanging down so low. JMO Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:dizzy:

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You can cut a groove in the saddle to let the other blade fit. Or, "IF", since I don't know your blade configuation, if the original blade is the bent type, just get a straight blade to fit beneath the stock blade and it will still cut above the stock bent blade. LCS Catolog has pics and sizes of most all the blades, so you can just choose the right length and hole size to fit your machine.
    Petet

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You will get more blowout on the Toro with doubles. However, I don't think the extra 1/8 or so will make any noticible difference than doing it with no blade shim. I did not want to cut up my machine as it might void the warranty somehow.:)

6. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Fill me in guys ,in florida everyone here just uses one blade per spindle ,either a gator blade for mulching W/out a mulch kit ,or a high or low lift blade, or a muilch blade with a kit .Are you talking about 2 blades per spindle.I can imagine the blow out with 12 blade tipes instead of 6 would throw stuff everywhere. Let me know