Toro doubles???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Jan 19, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Well I finally picked up my toro 36" proline hydro. Question that my dealer wouldn't or couldn't tell me. For doubles do you just cross two blades or does toro have some sort of device you need. Thanks.

2. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I don't have a need for doubles but I did ask my shop(sells Toros) last year and he said doubles will work except the bolt that holds the blade is to short.You would only have to change the bolt to a longer one so it can hold 2 blades that are crossed.
    PS I only run Toros.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 32 belt, i just cross them. it does wonders.

4. sildoc

As for the longer bolt. Can you just go down to your local hardware store and buy a longer bolt or does it have to be a special grade bolt? Thanks.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Ive tried doubles on my toro but took away too much power. The factory bolt was plenty long for doubles.

6. sildoc

Thanks I will be trying this this week if the rain stops for a day.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I ran Toro's for years.....with doubles recently.....no power problems and the bolts were plenty long enough.

That was a 36" and 48" fixed deck..

Derek

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Just remove the Blade Stiffener.

Doubes on a Toro 36"

toro discharge.jpg

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm thinking of trying to use doubles on a 44" "classic" toro deck that isn't mulch-capable. What can I expect in terms of improvements in clippings volume/size/etc? I will be mowing bahia and st. augustine at 3-4".

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I ran doubles on my Toro Z -147 44" for last half of year. Worked great. The BOLT on it is really long, so I just used the same one. It also has the blade bracked, so I put a spacer (big washer) between the two blades.

I also ran doubles on my 48" Exmark Lazer HP. It has a short blade bolt so I went to LOWES and got a longer one. Make sure you get the same # of threads per inch. Take the original with you so you can compare them.

I think you will like it.

MIKE