Toro ECXTRA™problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Aug 21, 2007.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Interesting troubleshooting call yesterday. An existing Toro controller, a homeowner installed ECXTRA™, which appears to be an updated Greenkeeper,
    showed a "FUSE 3" on the display, indicating a short on station 3.

http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/timers/index.html

I t apparently will identify shorts and bypass them. Two valves were wired to station 3, both shrub areas, and enough pressure and flow to make it work.

(This was done after someone else discovered a broken or nicked control wire and didn't ant to run a new wire under the house...)

Even after re-splicing the valves with Dry-Conn connectors, turning the controller off and back on again, it still displayed "FUSE 3".

i read 13.6 Ohms at the clock (25 to 28 on all the rest) consistent with 2 Irritrol valves on one station (approx. half the resistance.)

It seems like whatever I did, this controller interpreted it as a short. So, I ended up replacing the controller with an Irrigation Direct DMC. No problems after that.

So, is it a problem with the resistance as identified by the other controller as I think, or is that controller just not designed for more than one valve per station?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What was the total draw for the two valves? Specs state (pg. 39 of user manual):

Total Maximum Current Output: One zone plus
    pump/master valve. Must not to exceed 0.60 Amps
    @ 24 V a.c.

Also note pg. 37 of user manual.

3. irrig8r

In didn't check the amperage. Probably should have. I will when I go there next. But I thought the manual said .30 amps max per station. ouldn't check while the Toro controller was bypassing the station. And with the new controller it didn't matter because it worked fine.

4. irrig8r

I hate the fact that I can only edit my posts up to 10 minutes on this board.

Maximum Current Load Per Zone:
    0.30 Amps @ 24 V a.c.
    Maximum Current Load For Pump/Master Valve:
    0.30 Amps @ 24 V a.c.
    Total Maximum Current Output: One zone plus
    pump/master valve. Must not to exceed 0.60 Amps
    @ 24 V a.c.

"Must not to exceed." LOL. That's from the PDF file, pg 39.

http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/timers/ecxtra.pdf

Irritrol solenoid I have on hand says: Inrush, .4 AMPS. Holding, .2 AMPS. Multiply times two I guess.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Two separate circuits to handle the mstr. & zone valve, cannot gang, or do
    much else on those piece of junk clocks, best you changed-it out.:hammerhead: