Toro/exmark 21" comparison

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 24, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Just thought I would share my view of the two mowers. They are basically the same but have minor differences. The differences, toro- Built very good, kickers for mulching, heavier duty handle bar, kick shift on the tranny, steel on steel wheel adjusters(they will rust and become hard to adjust), different arrangment of the wheel adjusters which I prefer better because they go up one notch more. Exmark- Built just as good, not as heavy duty handlebar like the toro, much more comfortable handle bar due to the two bails for the sp and kill switch, Speed selection on the handlebar (much easier when the bag is on), no kickers for mulching, aluminum on steel wheel adjusters(won't rust like the toro), wheel adjusters are set up differently than the toro and go one space lower than the toro. In my opinion, the exmark is the nicer unit. It actually mulches just as good as the toro with kickers if you do some minor adjustments. I run the standard oem blade and rpms are at 3400. Much better cut. Also the exmark will bag better because of better air flow. The controls being on the handlebar are easier to use and the two bail is more comfortable and is dummy proof for employees. The toro is great too but the single handle bar gets tireing after a while because of the weight. The exmark handle will make it feel lighter. Also the kickers push the grass back down which results in tire tracks bagging and mulching. All in all the exmark will feel a little lighter, will cut a little better, and will be much more comfortable on your hands day in and day out. Especially when backing up a lot.