Toro-Exmark 21"- Side Discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaybee, Jan 23, 2001.

1. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Both of these mowers are available with an optional side discharge kit. I want a 21 inch mower that does all three things well. Mulch,Bag, and side discharge. How well do these units side discharge.

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I own 2 Airens self-propelled mowers. For me they have been very reliable, and have plenty of power. They also come with out the self propelled. Prices start in the mid $400 and go up to about $600 high-end. They have been well worth the money for me as a trim mower. Are you using this 21" as your main mower, cause if you are, it would be the ticket. These machines bag and mulch very well. The discharge option is really nice, because it has a very nice throw of the grass clippings=NO CLUMPS!! The Airens will also cut well under very wet conditions. All around great 21" mower.

3. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

i have a john deere self propelled that works great-but cost is about 800.00 for a new one.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I had an older Toro self propelled, electric start and it wasn't as solid of a mower as the JD 21" 14SE with the same features. They could of changed them a lot since, but my JD mower has held up good. What I liked about it is that the drive wheels are a lot cheaper to replace on the JD and that was the first thing to wear out after 5 seasons. Go check them all out and see what is the best built. Most of them have a used one around you can demo too.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have the new toro 21" 2cycle Suzuki,It bags,mulches, and discharges. But i don't like it nearly as good as my Snapper 21" with Robin 2cycle, snapper cuts much better, bags are easier to dump, wheels are much easier to adjust, blades easier to change, plus its around 200 cheaper than the toro. In fact im going to trade my new toro in on another Snapper, also the snapper cut is way better than the toro. I just thought i would mention that again Marks Mowing Service

6. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Just came from my Exmark dealer. That 21 inch is $800. Not gonna happen for me. I just need it for trimming and a few wet areas that a heavy walk behind will rut up. Dealer showed me a Cub Cadet that does all three things for $289(Not self propelled). Looks like a nice unit. Anybody have one?

7. Mark

Jay if your just going to use this mower for small trim and such. the cub sounds like it fits your needs. And its so much cheaper, i paid 999 dollars for that toro, but the snapper i like is only 780 Seems youve found a good deal,good luck if you purchase the cub. Marks Mowing Service

8. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

when you do have to use it- you will miss the self-propel if you don't get it.

9. Mark

Good point Midsouth, I was thinking about that exact thing when i posted. Marks Mowing Service ps when its 96 and 100% Humid But then again maybe Jay is still young enough to push, But im over 50 and anything i buy will be pulling itself.