Toro - eXmark ZTR comparison

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ealbertson, Feb 5, 2002.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone help me with this. I am thinking about buying either a Toro or eXmark ~ 60" ZTR. Actually, if anyone has any other models they have had exceptional experiences with please let me know.

Thanks,

Ed

2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have brand new Toro Z 62" with a Kohler 23 on the trailer. JUst picked it up yesterday ( I forgot to mention -its a demo w/ only 5 hrs logged ) I am trying to decide between TORO and eXmark like you. The difference is, I already own an eXmark. I prefer eXmark, BUT the price difference is why I brought this one home.

The eXmark 60" w 25 Kohler was $8500. The Toro w/ a little less power and a little MORE deck was $7399. Yesterday and today are making me believe that the power of this Toro is fine. I have put in many different situations and it has performed wonderfully!

This weekend, I can finish my deal with my dealer at PRO day and get an extra 8% off (almost $600 off). This may make me switch from eX to Toro. The only thing I wasn't initially excited about was the deck, oh and the almost daily greasing. Either way, I think the deck will last for the time period I plan on keeping it.

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" 19 hp Kaw Toro that I bought last summer. I have been very pleased so far. I don't have any personal experience with Exmark, but most of the users on here seem to like them.

I would have probably considered Exmark (actually I did), but the Toro dealer is within 5 miles and the nearest Exmark dealer is about 20 miles.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Ed:

Dealer distance and price are two important things to consider when purchasing a $7000+ piece of equipment. Performance in the field, durability, service after the sale, and the availability of parts are other things to consider when purchasing a new piece of equipment. Both the Toro and the Exmark are quality units, and I can't say too many bad things about the Toro Z-Master's, because they are manufactured right alongside our Exmark walk-behinds and riders here in Beatrice, Nebraska.

Although both units are assembled in the same manufacturing plant, they are NOT the same mowers. Occasionally, dealer's will tell their potential customers that a Toro is an Exmark and vice-versa, so you might as well buy a Toro because it is the same thing. This is simply not true. While there are many similarities, there are also big differences. I would encourage you to look at both products, try them out, and see what you think.

Also, think about the service after the sale. I firmly believe that Exmark's Customer Service and Support groups are second to none. We strive to maintain close relationships with our customers and are pro-active in solving issues that arise. That is why we were one of the first (or were we the first. . .I can't remember for sure) manufacturers to get involved with lawnsite.com. It's just another avenue for us to gather information from. Do you see Toro here on lawnsite.com??? ;)

If you want more information about Exmark Commercial Turf Care products, e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com, and I'll send you a catalog or answer any specific questions that you may have.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

5. JSG

JSG LawnSite Member
    from MI

I own both the lazer and the Z master and believe me the
    differences are night and day. The Lazer discharges clippings
    much better. In wet grass the Z Master just poops out big
    clumps of grass. When you look at the Z Master clippings they
    aren't mulched at all. The whole cut blade is laying there making
    cleanup a pain. The deck on the Lazer is much stronger. The
    center deck spindle pulley on the Z Master can wear out if not
    continually checked for proper torque on the nut The spindle
    assembly has tapered roller bearings that are shimmed. When
    they get loose you might as well throw the spindle out and
    buy a new one ($$$) because its hard to get working right with
    a bearing kit. Run them side by side and the differences will
    be obvious.

6. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Z and I am not at all happy with it. I bought a compact with a 52" deck. I've repaced the deck already (it's just over two years old), the quality of cut isn't near the Lazer nor is the handling on hills. Next Z will spend more $ and get the better machine... Lazer.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Amen! My main reason for wanted to trade my z master with 300 hours for a new dixie chopper! I have to double cut everything with the toro!