Toro/Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AK Lawn, Mar 19, 2002.

1. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

This is a stupid question but i am from alaska and i do not believe we have either of these(or one) dealerships, are toro and Exmark the same company, i didn't think so but just read a thread that made me wonder? thanks
    AK Lawn

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Toro owns eXmark, but eXmark is run as a separate product line. Some products cross over and Toro does manufacture many products in their facilities.

Exmark still does all the engineering and support, which were/are superior to Toros.

It's a good fit of a company with alot of money & facilities (Toro) buying a company with all the right ideas (eXmark)

3. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

The mowers look very similar except the decks. I believe the toro is stamped. Looks very week next to the exmark.

4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Like the thread above toro owns them plus lawn boy and several other companys. check out there web site for the low down.

5. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Toro also owns Wheelhorse.

6. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

While the mowers (Exmark and Toro) are similar in many ways, one difference is in the spindles. Exmark continues to use cast aluminum spindles, while Toro uses cast iron. I currently have a Toro 36 wb as well as an Exmark Metro 36. My Toro is entering its 15th season of service while my Exmark sits in my garage after only about 3 years. I have never had any problems with the Toro spindles, but have replaced the Exmark spindles numerous times since the warranty ran out. Both units were maintained very well but the Toro has been much more reliable.

7. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Never had a problem with the spindles on the Exmarks but if I had to choose between my Exmark WB's or Toro WB's I'd keep the Toro's. SFS is much more versatile deck than the tri-vantage.