Toro fixed deck mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 23, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I assume that the Toro fixed deck mowers either use Exmark decks or some of their technology. Question: Does the Toro 32" fixed deck have an available mulching kit like the Exmark 32"? I know Toro has its own single blade 32", but that unit shows only a 5.0 mph ground speed and the Fixed deck a 6.5hp top speed. A belt drive T bar that mulches like an Exmark would be a very cost-effective mower considering how it's not used all the time. Not sure i'm up for pistol grip belt drive on the Exmark 32".

I'm asking here because Toro hasn't replied to my email and a dealer I called was somewhat confused about the deck/control combinations available for 2003.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a Toro 32" fixed-deck and when I got it two years ago, The dealer said a mulch kit was not avail. Last year I was told by an Exmark dealer that he was sure the Exmark mulch kit would fit on the toro 32" deck. I never got around to ordering one, so I can not say for sure. However, I was at a dealer's open house last week and asked the toro rep. if they now had their own 32" mulch kit. He said they now have it avail. I have not checked with the dealer ordering one yet. If I get a chance to ask the dealer this week, I will post info. as to cost and availability.:)

3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I recall, the Exmark 32" mulching kit will fit on the Toro 32" since they are identical machines apart from the control systems. A dealer from my area relayed this information to me last year.

4. brucec32

Thanks guys, very helpful replies.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Checked with my dealer today. There is no mulch kit for the 32" mower. They do have one for the 36" fixed deck. My dealer does not sell Exmark, but said he is sure the Exmark mulch kit will fit the 32" Toro.:)

6. brucec32

Yep, I also asked Toro directly and was told no kit. What the heck is Toro's problem? They have a direct ported over deck from Exmark with a kit already designed, and they dont' offer it? It's like they're trying to lose sales to their own company, Exmark. And vice versa for Exmark. They should sell T bars too as an alternative. Some people want one-stop shopping, they should use the best technology from each company at both brands, not fight internal (no pun intended) "turf wars" over who gets to sell what.

Very odd company. They really seem in disarray in terms of their Toro product lineup, and at least locally, their dealers. Exmark seems more squared away. But, I like the belt drive T bar Toro mower for the price and need something in 32" so I ordered one. I'll just have my Exmark dealer send me the 32" mulching kit.

Who doesn't put a mulch kit on a mower size that is often used to mow small tight areas where a bagger wouldn't fit and is too tight to discharge w/o hosing down shrubs or the house? Especially when they have the kit already designed ? <shaking head>

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is a dumb internal marketing politics I think. But these days, one company will buy another and leave that company seperate rather than doing a merger. That's all good and fine but I think you are right. In my opinion, I say let them share all different parts as long as it remains cost effective for the company. But at the same time leave each with the pride of their own brand name. This would provide one stop shopping.

The lesser alternative is what one Charlotte NC dealer is doing. They used to deal only Toro, now they have Exmark too.

8. brucec32

The dealer I bought an Exmark from a few years back said they were told to pick one or the other brand, couldn't sell both. Also, the dealer I bought my latest Exmark from said they had to quit selling toros. So your local dealer's situation must be a special case.

9. brucec32

Just wanted to confirm that the Exmark mulch kit for the 32" Toro fixed deck is an exact fit. Put it on today right after I set the new mower up. I also noted that the mower mulches much better with 3 spacers between the blade and spindle, rather than the stock 2.

Also the Exmark cloth bagger will fit the Toro too (I just have to reset its mounting screws for the different length deck on the 32" vs. my 48" .

Makes the Toro T bar look like a great alternative for those who like the Exmark cut and quality but not the pistol grips or ECS.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just putting out information here for those that might be interesed. Toro is also offering the 15 Kawi 36" & 48" fixed decks in a hydro version, new for 2003.

For this year it is only available with pistol grips from the factory :confused:
    That doesn't make much sense. But I guess you could convert it. But then again you could probably convert an Exmark too. Maybe they will make some mid-season changes and start offering it stock with the T-Bar for those who might want one.