Toro Flo Pro valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by heartmd, Jun 16, 2006.

1. heartmd

heartmd LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Flo Pro valve with quick connect solenoid.
    There is no water coming on and the solenoid is okay(it works on another valve)
    There is a ring at the top of the valve which I think is the flo control
    I cannot turn it counterclock more than 5 mm. On another similar valve I can turn this flo control 2-3 turns and more counter clock.
    How do I clean the flo control?
    Can I just attempt to force it?
  2. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

aged flo pro's are famous for not coming on, change the diaphragm and you should be good, happens all the time
  3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

ive got a restaurant in town with 7 flo pros that wont open up fully, i thought it was a pressure problem, but ive ordered some diaphrams to see if it will help the problem
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've had so many problems with the Flo Pros this year. And the majority of them have been on well systems. Sometimes new diaphragms and solenoids haven't helped. Either the center pin/tube is bent or scarred and not allowing the diaphragm to pop back down and close. Rarely has it been not opening being the problem.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In the long term, consider planning on replacing the entire valve. There's a reason that Toro discontinued production of the Flo Pro valve.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but when certain people cram 8-10 valves in a box it is tough to replace ;)
  7. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

arent we here to make money? I learned a long time ago to stop trying to save people money, to an extent. Change the valve! Those flow pros suck. Toro Ez-Flo and your done. If you change that diaphram it may work right now but when it breaks again they will be calling you saying that you put in shitty equipment
  8. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Very well put! I have replaced over 50 Toro valves this year with Rain Bird DV's. After so many trips to the same homes (& service call fees) to replace solenoids & diaphragms, I can usually convince the homeowner to pay me to cut out the valves & replace them. And, it helps me in the long run because I am not locating, and manually opening valves during blowouts.

9. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

exactly, i can not stand people that cram them so close together. and when one of them valves is wrapped in roots that baby is getting a diaphragm
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the 8-10 valves were Richdel (now known as Irritrol) valves, they would never need replacing. :p