toro floating or non-floating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by challenger55, May 16, 2003.

1. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

hey guy i was just wondering what would you consider. i am looking at a toro hydro and was wondering what should i get a floating deck or non floating i noticed that the floating had the sfs

how does the sfs deck cut would it look bad if the grass was real high
    what are the advantages of the two.

2. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

you did not mention what size deck, if it was me and the deck was over 36" it would be the floating. i had a 36 with the fixed deck and it was ok, but i prefer the floating especially on a larger deck.

good luck, keith

could someone please turn the water off

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

MY year old Toro Hydro died today. A hydro is not working right. And of course, this happened at the very bottom of a long steep hill with no access and a steep crest to get over at the top. I also find the traction not to be great. Supposedly they have fixed this, but it's not the best steering system out there. Demo carefully.

If I had a Hustler dealer that would probably be my choice.

4. Huften Lawn Care

Huften Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from CT

Floating definitely. I have a 44" Toro and changing the height of cut is simple.

5. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Does Toro even make a fixed deck Hydro?

6. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Make sure you get the "Classic" version!

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think Toro now offers some fixed deck pistol grip hydros. And the classic deck is better balanced, but I dont' think it can mulch.

8. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I am also looking into a Toro 36" WB. My main question is this: What is the price difference between the floating deck and the fixed deck? I have yet to visit the dealer, but I do have some Toro literature at the house. Also, I assume most here would take the Kawasaki over the Kohler and hydro over belt. Am I right? One more thing, how much would a sulky set me back? Thanks in advance.