Toro Flow Gauge

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by soafone, Aug 3, 2012.

1. soafone

soafone LawnSite Member

I have a one inch water main in a residential home, going into a 5/8 water meter, then back out to one inch pex pipe. Right after that, if I were to install a 1/2" boiler drain (aka. sediment tap) off of the pex pipe, and I was to attach a Toro flow gauge, how accurate with the gpm reading be? Would the reading be an excellent figure to base my zones on as far as flow (gpm's) is concerned? How many gpm's could I expect it to be? I have attached a pressure gauge at the hose bib at the back of the home and it reads 55 psi.

I suspect that the Toro flow gauge would not accurately measure the gpm's since I am connecting to a 1/2" boiler drain, not directly to the one inch pipe. The hole inside it the boiler drain is pretty small and very restrictive of volume. What do you think?

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, not very accurate. I never thought much of those Toro flow gauges either, we used them back in the early 80's.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It is a vague generality, that in a home with a basement water meter, the flow and pressure you read at a hose bib located not too far from the meter, will be what the system will have available, on account of the losses in the pathway through the hose bib being more or less what will be lost through a PVB and an electric valve.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You will likely exceed the 15gpm the gauge reads if you installed at that location.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Wet_Boots

Through a hose bib? 15 gpm? Not likely.

6. cgaengineer

No, right after the meter is what he said...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I thought I was becoming a real "tech" when I bought one, until I noticed the warning that said "do not exceed 30 pounds pressure." :dizzy:

8. Wet_Boots

that's because the flow gauge is really a 30 psi pressure gauge with a special scale that's keyed to the size of the outlet

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I think that Toro gauge banged around the service truck for a couple of years until I chucked it. We'd already bought a couple of these, which worked swell.

www.betterwaterind.com/flowmeter.html

10. cgaengineer

If you dont exceed it's ratings the gauge is accurate according to a bucket test.

Now these are very accurate. I have one and have used it many times.

http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/P67514LFdiffuser.asp
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012