1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Flow Gauge

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by soafone, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! That's a no b.s. tester, except I have no fire hydrants on any of my sites. :cry:

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I did many hydrant flow tests at the company I used to work for. These tests were for fire protection and new subdivisions mostly. You haven't seen flow until you see 4000 gallons per minute coming out of a 2.5" hydrant bib at almost 200 psi. A ground shaking experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I use hydrant adapters to get a street pressure measurement when a home has a PRV. Most all hydrants have the 2.5 inch NST threads, but recently, I found some that had 2.5 inch NPSH threads.

4. cgaengineer

I have both versions of hose adapters but have found that the flow gauge fit on every hydrant around here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

my pollardwater catalog #172 only has 160psi/2120gpm max gauges rated for 2.5 inch. Got a link to the 200/4000?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cgaengineer

I had to swap the gauge. It broke the stock one. It's just a piezo tube with a standard size orrifice. Those pressures were on a hydrant I tested.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if you could post the link to the pressure/flow gauge i would be greatful. dual read gauges for the pressure/flow range you stated are tough to find. thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Wet_Boots

You have a single hydrant-to-garden-hose adapter for the NPSH threads?

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i have one boots, posted pics of it 3 years ago.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Wet_Boots

I would tend to believe it was of the slightly larger NST threads - plenty of garden-hose adapters for them - the NPSH threads are about a quarter-inch smaller in diameter, and I don't see a a garden-hose adapter for NPSH hydrants