Toro front or rear wheel s/p push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by THIESSENS TLC, Mar 3, 2011.

1. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting a new s/p push mower this year, probably a Toro.
    Anybody have any opinions on front or rear wheel drive? How about the mowers themselves, are they any good? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :canadaflag:

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I almost bought one today, the SR (super recycler) series. It looked promising, solid machine but alot lighter then a heavy duty push behind.
    I opted to just put a new engine on my duraforce lawnboy deck instead, for almost the same price..:)
    I may go in a week and pick it up anyway, i was so torn between my choices...new engine, or new mower.

The toro was about $460 with tax.

i get sentimental with equipment and keep it going.

3. THIESSENS TLC

im kinda the same way, just like to keep things goin, keep fixin them, try to get the most out of them. I've got a 22" craftsman with a tecumseth engine (eager1) that i got off the side of the road for free 3 years ago and its still goin. This thing is ancient, just put about $60 into it and it runs great. A little loud but whatever. :laugh: The front wheel drive is starting to mess up, and I dont feel like fixing it. I think its time for a new mower:drinkup:

4. cvcook

cvcook LawnSite Member

That's a no brainer, get RWD, FRD loses traction when the catcher gets full due to the weight on the back

5. Keepin' It Green

Keepin' It Green LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Personal Pace mower with rear wheel drive and it's great. It's probably 5 years old and the only problem I have had is the plastic wheel hubs breaking. Easy fix though. Can get two rear wheels for 50 bucks. Starts first or second pull every time. Definitely get rear wheel drive though. I have had front wheel drive mowers and the wheels just end up spinning and you don't go anywhere.

6. THIESSENS TLC

ok sounds good, and thanks for the info. I have a FRD craftsman and have never had a problem with weight issues due to too much grass in the bag....but ok, makes sense anyways. one more ?, do you use commercial or residential PP mower. I dont even know if there is a PP mower thats commercial. I've just seen the residential mower.

Thanks guys!:canadaflag:

7. dcjb

dcjb LawnSite Member

i have a toro, 10 years old in april, no trouble at all
    change oil, gas and go. def. a rear wh. drive for me.
    looking to get a new super recycler this year.

8. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

front

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

9. THIESSENS TLC

you must have nothing better to do with your time. 10+

10. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

+1 for you. Simple answer to a simple question.

But, if you want me to go more into it, I too have been looking at the Toro "super recyclers" and the "personal pace" models. Right now I'm using a fairly new Deere push mower (front) that seems to be doing fine. Like someone else said, just change the oil, filter, spark, fresh gas, and you're good to go. I use mine for small residential sections so it really doesn't see much use. What's funny is it gets used less now that I have a full on landscaping biz with real commercial mowers than it did just cutting our home. I've heard good things about the toro's and that's what I plan on getting next.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011