TORO Gator Blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Oct 24, 2007.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking into the toro gator mulchin blade for the 21 inch heavy duty commercial but i need 2 be able 2 bag and mulch without having to change the blade. and im wondering if the gator blade will only give me a good mulch but a bag baggin performance. or if it it will give me the same baggin performance as the blade that came with it and a better mulching performance.

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

yes it will bag well enough. toros arnt great baggers tostart with even with the stock blabe. i use only the gator

3. TheChiefsLawnCare

i think it does a very good job at baggin.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Are you thinking about a true Gator blade, or Toro's offering, the Atomic blade? The Atomic blade has teeth also, but they are not as high, and not sharp. I don't recall seeing a Gator blade for a Toro.

I have a Toro Proline 21" mower -- I think this is the one you are referencing, right? I bought an Atomic blade a few years ago, but rarely used it. My Toro sat idle for a couple of seasons, but I pulled it out two weeks ago, got it running, to be used exclusively for leaf mulching. I have a LawnBoy, staggered wheel design, as the primary hand mower, with side bagger.

When I got it ready for service, I mounted the Atomic blade. Also, I reinstalled the kicker plates. I knew the blade had very little lift, but I was not concerned about bagging. However, after using it a couple of times, I took it off. It takes the least power to run because of low lift, but the lift was not enough to even mulch leaves very well. It was just running over the leaves, without pulling them into the deck for mulching.

I changed the Atomic blade out, in favor of a standard OEM blade. I have a high-lift blade too, but chose the standard OEM blade that came with the machine. It does a much better job of leaf mulching.

As a side note, I have run the Toro Proline and the LawnBoy side by side for mulching, and then in other cases, for bagging. The LawnBoy is a better mulcher for leaves (running side by side), even with a standard blade. I have a Gator for the LawnBoy, but not mounted. Today, we were bagging, again side by side. Without question, in a couple of different places, the LawnBoy bagging was far superior. It picked the lawn clean, whereas the Toro left some leaves, some leaves blew out the sides. Where there was nearly pure turf (no leaves), the quality of cut on the LawnBoy was much better than the Toro. Perhaps the results would have been different if I had the kicker plates out, and had used the special high-lift blade on the Toro Proline. I rarely use the Toro as a bagger these days, but use it for nearly all the leaf mulching -- often running ahead of the LawnBoy.

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

im not sure what the blade was called. i jus no that when the salesman showed me the blade he said this was used for mulchin but wont give ya the best bagging performance. the blade looked like the gator blade, but im guessin it was toro's version.