Toro Gear Drive W/B with T-Bar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petekief, Aug 27, 2007.

1. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at one a few weeks ago with - the thing was built like a tank - i looked at a 48" - the spindles alone would likely have sold me - the controls seem very intuitive - i think it was priced about 2800 - i have seen some good things here about them - any input positive or negative ??? - it has an adjustable discharge as well - any body use that? how does it work for you?

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

new??! i bought my 36" new fo 3500 bucks...and i love mine to death. greatest mower in the world!! mine doesnt have the turbo force deck tho, that would make it even better.

3. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i could be wrong about the price - there was a sale on at the time - but i think it was around 2800 or 2900 - i have been looking at the lesco's for a while but man that toro is some mower and i remember thinking it probably would be well worth the difference in price - how does the t-bar work when you are going sideways on an incline - like a ditch bank

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 40" Hydro Turbo Force and its a very nice mower. It has plenty of power and leaves a nice cut. It is also very easy to control with the new T2 controls.

Talk about built like a tank...look at the handle bars on the T2...1/4 plate steel...no tubes here.

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ditto what Tex said. Ive use and abused my Toro 36 wb and its still the best mower Ive got. Wouldnt want to be without one. Works too good on hills, flat areas, small yards ,big yards, etc...

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I will agree with the rest of the posters here. My older proline is a great machine.

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

thats exactly what i have.. i never use the adjustable baffle.. dont see any reason to have it on anything other than wide open. nice machine, i paid $3k.
    im really not too thrilled with the t bar though .. lots of guys like it but i dont. the controls vibrate alot as well, i had to put foam all over em to keep my hands from going numb. not sure how all the other control types stack up, so the t bar might be better than others.
    all i have used are the snapper loop handles and the t bar and the t bar is by far more fatiguing on the hands than the loops... relying on manual pressure to tighten the belts as opposed to a spring doing the work for you.
    i used the snapper loops for a year and my hands were fine .. 6 months of the t bar and my tendons are all sore.

i actually use a bungie to pull on the tbar so i only need to use a little force... that helped.

besides the controls its a very well built machine. ... oh ya, and stock up on grommets for the controls as they only last a month or so.. i just started using 1/2" of duct tape wrapped around a bunch because it lasts way longer. thats not something that will stop you from mowing though.

8. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

if you are having that much of a problem with the controls then something must be wrong with them. the only tension to overcome with the t-bar are 2 LIGHT springs. as for the grommets mine is going on 3 years and they havent worn out yet. like i said if they are that bad there is a problem.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Still no floating deck for easy height adjustment correct? Main reason we stay with Scag 36".

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

they make a floating deck or a fixed deck