Toro Grandstand Experience ( horrible !)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ars777, Sep 14, 2010.

1. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Your question makes too much sense !!

2. ars777

ars777 LawnSite Member

"A few weeks" includes bringing the problem to their attention, them convincing us to drive out to pick up the replacement cap, coming back and finding the problem still exists, convincing them to pick up the mower, them picking up the mower, "fixing" it, bringing it back, only to still have the same problem as well as a new one (or perhaps an extension of the original).

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I can understand your frustration, it's seems customer service is all but gone in this country.

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

ah, so the truth comes out!! hahahah.. giving you bull trent, but i was unaware of your issues. what problems are you having? i know it aint the deck!

gotta love my wright standers!

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

My problems are as follows: Lift assist replaced 3 x's minimum, throttle cables replaced 2x's finally rerouted and fixed, deck not level from factory, loose nuts and bolts, we fixed, parking brakes creeping down, control levers too stiff on one of the machines and last but not least haven't heard one thing from Toro sales, or service since contacting yesterday morning!!

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

sounds fun, i know what it is like to have issues one some things. those older kubotas were like that to us, but kubota has always stepped up and that is what keeps goo customers just like the dealer we both use .

we have not heard about issues on the g3 or next lazers so we did go with toro as you know. so far i am impressed with the machine.

7. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW!
    I just bought 2 new Toro mowers (Not Grandstands) and hope I don't run into issues. So far they have been fine, and the rep promised a great warranty, which I WILL push to be enforced if need be. Your dealer, O'Dell Tractor, is an excellent dealer as we have bought from them since 1986.
    The GIE Expo will be a great place to talk to Toro AND your peers about non-resolved issues. I did that with a Kubota issue a few years back and the Kubota reps took care of all my issues immediately.
    Here's to hoping Toro is as good as Kubota in backing their products!!

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Check all the hydraulic fittings, as one poster said, it sounds like you have air getting in the system somewhere.

No excuse for the dealer either not setting it up properly and while they should offer to pick it up and fix it, it isn't their responsibility.

PS Where is there a mountain in Wisconsin that he would have to tow the mower up?

9. ars777

ars777 LawnSite Member

Thanks all for replies / advice. The property / mountain is in North Carolina...

10. ars777

ars777 LawnSite Member

...and just to clarify, I understand that this is not the dealer's responsibility and that they can't endlessly be picking up / returning my mower for me.

However, given that the unit was delivered with a fairly significant issue and now has the same issue (albeit to a lesser degree) as well as a second issue upon return of the unit, I think some combination of Toro and / or the dealer should be taking care of this situation for me without additional expense on my side.

I get they don't "have" to do anything. I guess if PR like this is worth whatever it would have cost them to do the right thing, they are free to make that choice just as I am free to post my review and opinion.

The mower does really cut well and handles the hills respectably. I could have easily looked past some bumps in the road had they handled them fairly. My review could have, and would have, been quite glowing.

I went way out of my way to try several channels and to give adequate time to let them do the right thing before sharing my thoughts / experience with the unit.