Toro Grandstand Review.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Jun 13, 2009.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I bought a 23hp 52" GS on Thursday. I have to say that the machine is built very well. The ride is very nice and above all the cut quality is fantastic.

I have been mowing with Wright Standers for 6 years... I really love the agility and speed of those machines but I finally had enough with the poor cut quality when mower conditions were not perfect.

I mowed 17 lawns on my first day out on the machine. My overall rating would be an A, with some small areas that have room for improvement.......many of which I think I can make some adjustments and solve.

Things I like:
    1. the cut quality - I mowed in a drizzle in the morning and had no problems with clumping.....With the Stander I probably would have been cussing.... As conditions improved things just got better.... Eventually I adjusted the baffle closed and was very impressed with the dispersion of the clippings..

2. The ride was very comfortable. I got to do some hill mowing and it did just fine once I got the "feel" of it.

Things I could like better...

1. the speed - I am gonna mess around with this a little......I am sure this can be adjusted up....

2. the control panel is at what I think is an awkward angle. the control ar kinda in the way of easily getting to the throttle, etc... this is something I will just have to get used to...

3. Control levers were VERY stiff......hoping to adjust those as well.....

Overall I have very happy...... I think as I get more time on it, and the controls before more "sub-conscience" it will get even better.....

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Whats the word on the striping? I am going to demo one next week. Do you know if there is a huge difference between a 52 and 48 on uneven lawns, etc.?

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

it stripes well with out any type of kits..........but I will probably add a rubber flap as I have on all my mowers, the wheel base on this mower is so wide that I cant see how you would need to go small than a 52"

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

What did you pay for it? (if you don't mind me asking)

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer has quite a few of them that I druel over every time I go in to his shop. I have only driven one on his lot but it seem to be a sweet machine.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I have not paid a single penny yet, I took the 36 month 0% interest loan., but the price was $8019.00 out the door......you can get a good discount if you mow for a church, school, gov. office etc......

Unfortunately I do not.......

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I would absolutely NOT adjust the speed, it is going to void your warranty. It really is just not a good idea, this stuff is commercial equipment and it comes from the factory with the "prime" settings. You pay 8,000 for a machine because it has been engineered to perform at its peak. I can not stress enough that you should not tweak your speed.

As far as the control levers, on every new/newer machine I have had they are always stiff and tight from being new, they normally loosen up a bit.....

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

Thanks for the input.

I have always tweaked the RPMs on every commercial machine I have ever owned (12-13) and never had a problem getting warranty work done....

anyway I brought the RPMs up to 3600, this morning and found the machine to be quite a bit more responsive and overall quicker....

9. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

My dealer has a 19/48 for $6700 and that's a steal. I wrote a review also and was very impressed. The thing I disliked the most was the lack of traction while in the WB mode. It needs some weight and wouldn't pull too well until I started standing on it again. It is much better in riding mode but a good compromise overall.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

How ?? I dodn't know any dealer or manufacturer that will disocunt for that !!