1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Grandstand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguy27, Jun 18, 2011.

1. lawnguy27

lawnguy27 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about replacing my Toro Timecutter with a Grandstand. I would like to have some reviews on the Grandstand. The main thing is how it handles on hills. If some people would please give me a review on how you like yours that would be greatly appreciated. If you have any pictures of the cut and/or your Grandstand that would be great too. Thanks!
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

great and great. it will blow the time cutter away
  3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

On steep hills can you step off the platform and run the grandstand like a walkbehind?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Mattsmowing99

Mattsmowing99 LawnSite Member
    from NEO

I have a vantage which is the same machine minus the deck. All i can say is get the biggest motor you can for the model you want. The hill stability is ok at best. Be careful going up because the front end likes to pick up, and the side to side mowing you just have to go slow otherwise you will slide. The one thing that I do love about the machine is how it will just float over soft ground or water. It really amazed me this spring due to us(ohio) having rain just about everyday and making lawns lakes!

oh and make sure you spend time getting the controls right they are a bit touchy. I hope this helps!
  5. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

No. You are way better off standing on the machine the whole time. If something freaky happens, just jump off.
  6. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

a GS is a big step up from a timecutter
  7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I toyed with getting a standon unit. For my purposes, there wasn't anywhere near the hill stability of my w/b's. Had a scary moment or 3 while demoing a Stander... Would probably work for most, but not even close in MY terrain. Food for thought.
  8. lawnguy27

lawnguy27 LawnSite Member

For everyone who answered thanks for your help! More would be appreciated!! Pictures would be nice also.
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

they are superior on hills if you know how to operate a stand on mower. i have experience with most of them. used standers for many years, the GS is way better hands down on comfort, hills and cut.

i never get pics, but a couple of guys on here have seen and contest to the hills i mow with them and treat with zsprays. that however requires much more skill to do
  10. Century Landscape

Century Landscape LawnSite Member

I bought a GS after doing some research on both the Wright and the GS. Both should be quality units, but I heard cut quality is much better on the GS. I have been pretty happy with mine.

As far as hill stability, it seems great. Gets great traction for the most part, although most of the time I stay on mine because it seems to do better with some weight over the tires. In walk behind mode, it just doesn't seem to grab and wants to slide a bit more.

Also about the front coming up, I've never had any issue with that unless I accidentally pop a wheelie while trying to cruise on a crap yard with some rain coming. I'm 6 ft 225 lbs so I'm not exactly a featherweight. If you are 300 lbs, you're probably wanting to sit down on your ztr anyway:laugh: so maybe check out something else.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with my GS. One last note, I was surprised by how much better it runs once I got past the break in period. 50-60 hrs. Cuts better too.