Toro Groundsmaster 325D - are these good equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landcruiser, Nov 12, 2001.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I am looking at buying a 95 Toro Groundsmaster 325D (Toro model #30788) with around 2000hrs in good condition. It has the 25hp Mitsubishi diesel and the 72" deck. Are these good mowers? Do they cut pretty and do they hold up mechanically? I am not going to use it commercially just to mow about 2 acres once a week. I have owned a Grasshopper 822D (Kubota diesel, 52" deck) and Cushman Frontline (OMC gas, 60" deck) and enjoyed both of them but it's time to move on and I wanted opinions on the Toro. Tell me likes/dislikes and any weak points inherent in this particular model Toro. Also, what is a ballpark figure on what this mower is worth in good sound condition?

2. If you do the math it would be a LOT cheaper just to contract the job out to a local LCO.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have extensive experience with that machine.

Upside:
    Quality golf-course and commercial quality machine. Engine is good for 8000 hours. Hydrostatic transmission is long-life and low maintenance.

Downside:
    It was designed in the Nixon administration. It is heavy and has some high maintenance points including rear-turning apparatus, deck driveshaft and gearbox.

Quality of cut: decent depending on grass type, but don't expect it to stripe like Erics Dixies!

Worth:
    Depends on if it has power steering, if it is 4WD:
    $3000 - $4200 range

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would say most 60" ZTR's would cut your 2 acres faster than this 72" would cut it, if your looking to get it done fast.

5. I like 'em. I've owned at least one of them since the seventies. I'm currently on #4 & 5. Both are 325-D's One is 4wd
    I like them better with the Mitsubishi diesel. Toro says you must have the valves adjusted every 400 hours, though I have one with 3500 hours that I'm sure has never been adjusted.

These machines are tough as anything, but expensive to fix. There's some but not many after market parts available for this machine. The good thing about them is they seldom need fixing.

I've bought all of mine used and I check for: Excessive spindle play, It should have only a slight click when shoved up and down. Look for worn bushings in the deck wheels and in the steering bushings. They're all replacable. The engine should run smooth at an idle, and start on the 3rd to 5th revolution. Nothing should be leaking. The deck will have a little crack near where the discharge chute bolts on, but should be relatively flat. To check for deck warp, park it on concrete and count the spacers in the front wheels, then walk on the deck to see if it wobbles. These decks can be warped thru abuse, and a new stripped deck I think is about $3k The brakes will need new cables because the old ones will be rusty and siezed. But you don't really need the brakes except to mow steep hills.

I just bought my '94 325-D 4wd with 1500 hours for $6800 I thought I was getting a deal 'cause they list for about 3 times that price.
    I'm an owner/operator and have put in thousands of hours mowing. I think these mowers have the best seating position, and are the most comfortable to operate. The durability and quality of cut is unsurpassed. If you enjoyed the grasshopper and cushman, you're going to love the Toro.

I believe Toro has the books for this machine available on line on their website.

Dave