Toro Groundsmaster 4700-D

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom Musselman, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Tom Musselman

Tom Musselman LawnSite Member

This is my first post here.

We are considering the purchase of a Toro Groundsmaster 4700-D this Spring. I test drove one Monday and hope to demo one in the next few weeks.

I am also considering the 82" Articulator from Lastec. I was more interested in the 96" model but it won't fit on our isuzus (92" wide). I am going to a local golf course that has had one for 3 years to try theirs out on Monday. I spoke with the superintendent and mechanic and both like it but have some concerns about problems they have had with the deck, at least with their model year.

We will have the area to justify these mowers. I realize how many Z mowers I could buy, but we are trying to minimize #'s of employees with high production equipment.

Anyone have any experience with these units?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I am also looking at the Lastec Articulator. I have used a lot of Toro equipment but not the 4700. Is the 4700 outfront? The only thing about outfront mowers is the ground speed is much slower. Outfront mowers are comfortable and fun to drive but a ztr style is much more productive.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

4700-d ? that's a whopper of a mower. I think the weight and size of this machine makes sense for a golf course but not on residential or even commercial sites unless you are over 7 acres. at 5 acres or less, I would still challenge a super z to it. the only 4700d's Ive seen are on industrial, Really big commercial ( 50 acre +) municipal, or golf. there's a reason for that, and you may figure it out the hard way.

Dave g

4. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

O-kay
    4700D is 12.5' batwing outfront combo jobbie 60 horse Kubota not to mention articulating decks etc. Isn't that machine like 50 or 60 grand?
    I ran a 186 acre golf course for two years. I had a Befco flex mower batwing 11.5' that was the workhorse of the rough. From the financial standpoint you could get a used 4x4 tractor for 10k and a used flex mower at 11.5' width for 4-6k and have a lot of equipment to use for less that 20 grand without sacrificing speed. The 4700 will probably have a mowing speed at about 6 or 7 mph. It's a great mower but quite a luxury. That deck system is designed for golf course mounds and shaping and any machine designed for the golf industry is automatically megabucks.
    Ofcourse you need a huge trailor for the tractor and befco.

5. Tom Musselman

I know it is hard to imagine that a mower of that size and expense could fit into a landscape management companies equipment profile, but I think it will for us.

We have looked long and hard at the benefits and risks associated with this purchase. We have a (I think 39 HP) John Deere tractor and looked at a gang mower as an option. The articulators are our other alternative to the 4700-D. We would probably get 2 articulators instead of the Toro. Still leary of a company I have never dealt with or heard of until doing the research.

Again, my question is does any one have experience using the 4500 or 4700-D Toro, or any other wide area mowers? I appreciate the alternative suggestions and concern, but like I said, we have made that part of the decision.

Thanks,
    Tom

6. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Excel/Hustler, has been making these big"batwing" type of mowers for years. Look at them also. I think you will find they are a lot heavier built than the Toro machines. The big Toro's are pretty good machines, but just that, "pretty good", nothing special. Check out this website. www.excelhustler.com

8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We just purchased 4 4000Ds and also have 2 580Ds. 4000D is a 11' bat wing and the 580D is a 12' bat wing. The 580D are doing well with standard discharge. On the 4000Ds we bought them with mulching kits, which have been ok. Chambers load up in heavy grass and bog down the machine. We recently have tried Gator HD mulching blades(ones that fits, but are lacking a 1/4" drop), this has taken care of our chamber loading problem. We will be switching all of our 4000Ds to Gator blade, the only difference now is that our decks mow a 1/4" higher than what is stated on the deck.
    By the way the 4000Ds are replacing our Hustler 400, 440, 4500, 4600 range wings. Our main problem with the Hustlers is the hydraulic system on the newer style decks. You also may want to look at the John Deere 1600 Turbos.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

sdwally,
    Thanks for the info. about the problems with the newer Hustler decks. I was not aware of that. I thought the older machines were pretty good. Maybe that old saying,"If it aint broke, don't fix it", applys here.:)

10. Tom Musselman

sdwally,
    I have looked at all the mowers you described. The 580D was not a consideration because our Isuzu trailer body is 93" wide. The 4700-D I mentioned barely fits at 88.5". I looked long and hard at the 4000D Toro and the 1600 turbo from JD. I test drove the 4000, 4500, and a sidewinder at our Toro dealer. I thought the 4000d handled the best. However, our properties have a lot of undulating terrain and the 4700d and its' 7, 25" independent decks will allow us to mow areas we currently do not do with 52" Toro Z's and hydro walkbehinds.

Have you been able to determine how many employees you have avoided hiring due to the increased production of these wide area mowers? How long would it take and with how many 60 or 72 inch ZTR's running to complete your mowing schedule, or is that even possible to imagine.

What made, besides the acreage, you move in the direction of these kinds of mowers? Lots of questions, but this idea has been on my mind for months.

Thanks,
    Tom Musselman