Toro/ Honda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I Know That The Commercial Honda 21" Has A Hydrostatic Drive, Does The Toro Commercial?

2. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i bought the honda because of the hydro drive and bbc it not as powerful as direct drive shafts but mows great bags better starts very very very easy my 7 year old brother could probly start it i paid around $1100 for it

i dont think the toro is hydro it has a 3 speed foot shifter

3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just about to post about these mowers also, a few questions I had was what is the blade tip speed and Hp of the honda, I saw the toro is 18,000 and 6.0.

Also the toro says it's presurized lubercation, but I can not find any specs about this on the honda. I am leaning toward the toro because the only honda dealer in the area is a Northern Tool, and there are like a dozen toro dealers.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Northern Tool does not carry commerical EQ.

Honda's hold up better and cut better.

5. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have hondas? do you know about the questions I posted?

I am also concerned about the gas tank being .29 gal compared to the 1 gal toro and somewhat concerned about the steel honda compared to the alumn. toro decks.

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I don't know anything about tip speeds. I know the honda engine is the best on the market. So comparing HP is sometimes tricky at best.

I know the Toro is about the same price. The guy who maintains our equipment and has about 10 years of experiance, used Toro for a long time. At first he did not like the Honda, but after 2 years, the wheels don't break as much, the cuts are better, and needs less service.

Parts do cost more. It is a give and take.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

a hydro honda will out last a gear toro 10/1. the trans and front wheels on the comm toro are the weak points. the hydro honda is bulletproof!

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

yep

we save a bunch of money each year, not replacing Toro wheels. That alone will pay for the mower in about 4 to 5 years vs the toro.

9. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds Like Honda Is The Way To Go.

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Unless you can get a heck of a deal on the toro with several sets of tires.

Both, will need repairs.