1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Hydro Oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fresh Cut, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Fresh Cut

Fresh Cut LawnSite Member

Recently purchased a 52" Toro T-Bar classic hydro (I realize this isn't the most popular mower with ya'll). My question is this, the manual and the hydro tank say to use mobilfluid 424, the dealer and the newer-style Toro models say to use Mobil 1 15w-50. The dealer told me it says 424, but they use 15w-50 'cause it works fine. I noticed that my mower has BDP-10L pumps, where the newer-style (pistol grip) has the BDP-10A pumps, is this why different fluid is called for and can I safely use the mobil 1 15w-50. Anyone else have a mower with BDP-10Ls with some hours on them and use 15w-50? :help: This thing costs a lot and I don't want to screw it up, I'm new to hydro.
  2. Fresh Cut

Thought I'd shoot this one back to the top of the pile, see if anyone else reads it. Anyone??
  3. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Run with what Toro says to use.

At one time Toro did use Mobile 424 because the units ran an oil cooler. Mobile 424 can be VERY, VERY (impossible) hard to find in quarts - Toro packages it in quart bottles that your dealer can order for you. If your dear does not want to stock the Toro packaged oil, there is a list of APPROVED substitiues.

Don't start using the Mobile 1 - Toro went to it because they dropped the oil coolers & you don't want to mix synthetic oils
  4. Fresh Cut

Thanks, now where can I find this list of approved subs?
  5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

They can get just about anything even when changing belts i just get them a part number or size and they can pretty much get it in stock, same as with the oil I bet they can get it for ya.