Toro hydros too aggressive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaybird24, May 2, 2008.

1. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Anybody know of a way to tune down Hydros. We have an 08 Z Master 558 with 52" deck and 28 hp kaw. Our 60" with 29 DFI Kaw is real smooth. The 52 is so jumpy it is hard to keep it straight, and it wants to spin going up a hill. You can lower the throttle and it is smooth then, but not really a good thing to do all the time. I know very little about hydros and don't want to take it to the dealer because we are behind already and it doesn't affect getting the work done. The dampeners are already at full stiffness. Adjusting tracking won't help either because it is like this in both forward and reverse. Any help would be appreciated.

2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

humm that is weird it might simmer down when the hydros break in a little bit. but you might have a real issue on your hands that they dealer might have to fix.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just for kicks you might check the hydraulic fluid levels, not sure if this affects it but...

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Both my Exmarks have had very sensitive hydro's (some would say jerky, but this is only temporary till you get used to it, I call it fast). They feel great to me until you spend a few days on a Hustler or Scag and get back on it again. Then it feels jerky until you get back in the groove of the faster hydraulics.

5. totallawncare25

from TN

Very much agree with Tacoma on this Exmark/Toro hydros are that way out of the gate..

6. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I have also heard that the hydros on the exmar/toro's are very sensitive. Not really sure why though?

7. totallawncare25

from TN

Both my riders were that way from Exmark but my 52" Turf Tracer WB werent that way i believe they are the same hydro brand hydro-gear

8. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Maybe you have more control with a WB?

9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Thanks guys. I'll just have to spend more time with it. We've always run scags so I guess I'm use to them being more forgiving and in control. The thing feels like a pissed of jackrabbit right now to me. I've been running the 60" and a turf tiger the last few weeks, today was my first chance to put any real time on it.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup our old lazer is very jumpy.