1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TORO - ISSUES, Quality Control

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Oct 5, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

As you guys may know I have 4 toro Z. One brand new one this summer which has been nothing but problems. It is a 400 series with DFS bagger, 52 deck and 23 Kawa.

I have gone through a few belts already. 1 hub, 2 spindles - not tight from factory - 30 hours they were replaced. DFS bagger housing on the top - all the bolts were loss and vibration was awful - temp fix at best, Wheels about to fall - the motors themselves had 1-2 bolts missing where 4 are needed.

Rain overnite so a little late starting. I am checking mower over and yesterday I noticed I couldn't go down a sidewalk or street without the front wheels wabbling all over the place. I take them both off and i am amazed they lasted this long. There were no bearings placed in either wheel.

I take them to my dealer who I waited to open shop and told him to look at them. Never seen that before and of course doesn't have bearings like that on hand.

I am getting alittle tired with my toro mowers. Right now it is a love/hate relationship with them. I love the mowers cut etc but all these problems?
  2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I spoke to a fellow landscaper last week who has a 60" Toro with the Kubota. He loves the Kubota, and the cut he gets...when it runs. He said he has pages and pages of repairs. It has been a nightmare for him. I was shocked to hear that Toro would have that many problems. He said the Spindles were the most often reoccuring.
  3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think its a more like a toro / dealer prob, toro's prob for shipping it like that and the dealers fault for not going over it from front to rear when they get it ready to sell it to you!
  4. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Wow.... That is very interesting.

However, do think there is any blame on your dealer? You know they are ultimately who assembles these mowers and should check all the necessary components. On the other hand if its stuff that they don't put on yes Toro should be held accountable.

Three of my friends and I all have Toro's ranging from 450's to 590's and the only problem from any was when a gumball from a gum tree got wedged in between the pulley and the belt.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Years of reading these post and it's fairly rare to hear complaints about Toro ZTR's. I hear a little Honda vs Toro in the self propelled line on this forum but that's about it. Hopefully it is an isolated incident and not reflective of the company as a whole. Of course Exmark and Toro share a lot of components but not spindles or decks (good for Toro).
  6. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, thats crazy.

I own a 2002 Toro Z 150 w/52" SFS, 20hp Kohler. 750 hours, never had a problem. Went through one belt deck, thats it.

How do you like the DFS bagger? I've heard to go with the twin or triple bin bagger, because the DFS doesn't work too well.

7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to own a Toro Z 500 with a DFS/ The mower itself was excellent but the DFS was a piece of sh**. Never again. The TFS deck left a great stripe and all but the bagger was the worst design I have ever seen!!!
  8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Man i love my toros!! dont understant all the problems!! i bet its the dealer!
  9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

i don't get it though. Dealer - ok maybe he should be more vigil when assembling this thing but at the same time - isn't Toro to be held "more" responsible for the machine and parts?

If I am a sub and my work is bad - it goes back to the general contractor and then maybe back to me but after all the mowers I have owned and the other 3 we have - this machine just has been nothing but problems for me.

DFS bagger - seems to work good for me. Although it is a pricey option vs the bin bagger set up but I back on the trailer, open up and go - I never leave the seat to unload.

I my little area of the world there is grasshopper, woods, kubota, dixon, deere & toro. I would really like to try a Ferris but I am not driving an 70 miles to nearest dealer either.
  10. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2000 Z150 with 52" SFS deck and DFS bagger. Here's my 2 cents: the bagger does a nice job with high lift blades, very little ground clearance below the bagger...makes it very difficult to approach hills or trailer ramps, it was very pricey and doesn't fit any of the newer mowers (per Toro and Dealer). I did have some trouble with the drive pulley attached to the main pulley.....sheared the screws and lost the bolt and spacers on the bottom end, just got it back today. Used it, but was having trouble getting on/off my trailer to dump due to ground clearance issue.
    Would like to upgrade to a newer mower (Toro Z), but don't want to spend the $ for a new DFS.