Toro junk

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Toy2, May 31, 2008.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

My neighbors Toro PP starting acting up, grinding, I knew the ft. tranny went out, he has had the mower since 06. Tranny was replaced last year in March.

He asked me if I could fix it, of course I said yes, just get the part. Took about an hour and it was back to its great self. 3rd tranny!!!

Anyway what is the deal with this part, its made in Mexico, is this why they don't last?

He paided me $10.00 for the install/////////// guy just turned 83!!!

2. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

whats a PP? And I must work for that guys brother and boy he really thinks hes makin your day with that TEN!!!

3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I presume its the Toro Personal Pace mower/

http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/superrecycler/20055.html

Seems pretty expensive for something that breaks down frequently.

4. Toy2

Sorry, thanks LarryF, personal pace, tranny last year was installed under warranty, he got the mower at HD and they refused to honor it, which mad him resent HD.

Local Toro dealer covered it under the warranty last year, then last Thursday he called me over to listen and I knew what it was, he did too but figured the belt was loose.....it appears its going to cost him a new tranny every year.

He mows St. Aug. and has a small lot, I know they are junk, because I had the ft. wheel drive and rear drive, I should have just bought a commercial 21 for what I paid for both.

Made in Mexico, how sad!!!!

5. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I'm just a homeowner too and not much younger than your neighbor, but I have no idea why my fellow homeowners buy lawn equipment from Lowes or HD. It all looks chintzy to me. I enjoy work and therefore do my own lawn and whenever possible repair all my lawn tools, most of which are commercial quality. But for the money your neighbor has wasted on that machine, it seems to me he would have been way ahead if he hired you to do his mowing instead of making that purchase. Well, it's obvious that you are a good neighbor. :clapping::clapping:

6. Toy2

HD and Lowe's shows off all the mowers at the start of the season, to bad they don't back up what they sell. He told me he has a mower from Western Auto in 85 and it lasted 15 years, not one issue.

He gave it to his brother when they moved to an apartment, now back in a house and the Toro is junk!!!

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I thought a Toro Personal Pace did not have a transmission. I thought the speed variation is controlled by a slipping belt, and there are no gears. What does a transmission do in a PP mower? I thought the whole idea behind PP was the elimination of a transmission. It undoubtedly has a differential, taking power from a single drive line to the outboard shafts to each wheel. But, why a transmission?

8. Toy2

Tranny in the front the Toro, pulls the front wheels, drive belt from it goes to the engine, on the rear drive its just reversed.

The trannys are about $60.00 out the door, it appears he will replace them every year at the rate he is going.

I did stop one guy from buying one at HD a few weeks back, sent him to the local Toro dealer. I make sure on every HD visit I catch someone at the mower section and tell my story, caught a Mexican guy one day, but he still bought it. Guess he didn't like my Spanish!!!!!

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

$60 for a transmission? That sounds very inexpensive for a multi-geared transmission. How many gears in the transmission? Your response didn't answer the question about why a transmission is needed at all. How is the shifting done? Again, I thought a selling feature of the PP was the lack of a geared transmission that required shifting into specific gears.

10. Toy2

Sorry, first off I'm not a Toro mechanic, just helping a guy out.

The tranny is a single gear driven off the belt to assist the mower front wheels to propel the mower. Handle on the mower with cable down to the pulley on top of the transmission, harder you pull, faster it will go...... If you get a rear driven its opposite. Local Toro dealer $60.00 out the door.

Here is the part#
    Displaying TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY NO. 106-3956 parts for the Toro Consumer 20013, 22in Recycler Lawnmower, 2006 (SN 260000001-260999999