1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro leaks oil

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by giggle8803, Jul 15, 2008.

1. giggle8803

giggle8803 LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone

Oil leak? on my Toro! Please help. Of course I didn't think to write down the serial number or anything (at work now). It's a 22" Recycler with a tecumsem engine, probably 2 years old. The valley of the top of the mower was full of oil last night. Cleaned up the oil last night and took photos this morning. I didn't check the oil level. It's probably been 10+ days since I've used it. I did check the oil last time/maybe time before I used it and dipstick indicated it was low so I added some to get it to the right level on the stick. It ran fine the last time I mowed...

So what did I do wrong? Did I fill it too full? Should I empty the oil out and start over? Am I OK to mow with it?

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Either you have a carburetor float problem and the gas is getting into the sump, thinning out the oil, and leaking out -

The square-cut o-ring at the bottom of the dipstick tube is cocked sideways, loose, or too well-lubed. If this is the case, remove the fuel tank, take the tube off the mower, clean the o-ring and put it back on. Hit the top of the dipstick with your palm to really seat it good on the o-ring when you put it back together.
  3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Spray it down good with engine cleaner and hose off, then dry it. See if you can tell where the oil is coming from.