1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro motors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, Feb 21, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone familiar with the toro motors on the 21's? Any problems?
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

toro doesnt build motors
  3. CoultersDFW

CoultersDFW LawnSite Member

They are Suzuki 2 strokes. I've run a set of mine for 4 years now and if you just keep fuel and air filters clean you can bet on maximum life. Mine start on the second pull every time and run like a champ. Cant go wrong here. :cool:
  4. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

I agree. They are GREAT all around mowers. I haven't had any problems at all with mine.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Toro make Duraforce & R-Tek engines for Lawnboy & Toro single stage snow blowers. These engines outperform the Suzuki.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Or if you are talking homeowner model they are mostly tecumsea engines.
  7. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

You guys might want to check with your dealers today on this.... I just talked with Toro directly - and on their model # 20039 - 21" mower - which they refer to as their commercial mower - they install a "Briggs"....... good gawd..... and to think they own ExMark - What's next? - a squirrel cage in them???
  8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have a 6 hp Kawasaki on my new Toro (1 year old), it is great compared to the old 6.5 hp Briggs on my old model. I would stay far away from the Briggs. I have starting problems and rough running problems with the old one.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The toro with the suzuki 2-stroke will soon be a thing of the past. They quit making this engine last year and are just using up what they have. I heard that toro was going to put Honda engines on their pro line 221" but have not seen one yet. They did also have the Kaw as an option and I think that's what the exmark version uses.