Toro mower -- Axle bolt keeps snapping off - WTF??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4-Leaf, May 3, 2003.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

SO -- I have a Toro Groundsmaster 118. Yeah, It's old but it has been working great ... until a couple of weeks ago. One day, I was mowing away and suddenly the mower stopped moving. Engine running, belts ok, but it wouldn't move. I found out that a bolt had snapped off. The bolt runs thru the axle and holds on the right tire. Also, there is a little "half-moon" key that sits in the axle and the wheel has a little slit inside where it fits over the axle and that little slit accommodates the "half moon" key. I think the key is to give it some strength but the wheel slit fits over the key with quite a bit of room to spare.

Anyway -- when I replaced the bolt, my dealer told me to just go buy one at the local hardware store. So I bought some galvanized bolts but they would only hold for a couple of hours and then snap. So I bought some hardened steel bolts (#7 grade) and I thought that would solve the problem. The first one held for about 3-4 hours before it sheered off. I called the dealer to ask whether he could guess what the problem might be. His answer?? -- "No idea"

Anyone on here have any experience like this?? HELP!!
  2. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

I also have a 118 (I use as a spare) and have experienced the same problem. Your hub has been "wallowed" out. You need to get a new hub, half moon key and a hardened steel bolt and you will be back in business.

There is so much play between your hub and half moon key that the bolt gets eat up going back and forth. The hub and half moon key need to fit together tightly!

Hope this helps!

:D :D :D :D :D :D