Toro mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn6@bigpond, Nov 14, 2005.

1. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

Got this Toro 71200 that has lost the tention on the gear shift lever, Have replace the cable but it not is very loose flops about and it is stuck in 3rd gear. Anyone know how to fix this .:angry:

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a spring or tensioner on it that maybe fell off when you removed the cable?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Are you speaking of the cable that goes from the shift handle to the clutch pivot arm ? If so it looks like you can adjust the tension by sliding the cable housing back away from the pivot arm and tighten the clamp. This cable will not make the shifter stick in 3rd or any other gear, That would be a possible problem with the shift keys inside the trans-axle.

4. lawn6@bigpond

Thanks Guy's
    Found it was a broken gear shifter & fork inside the trans:)
    $ 130.00 Au should fix it .

5. lawn6@bigpond

Well that new fork shifter didn't work have replace the gear shifter key's,

Still locking in gear even when the clutch is in still have some drive .

Does anyone know where i can get a gear box diagram to see if it all was there in the first place. Or can anyone tell me how to fix it .

6. Restrorob

So what you are saying here is; When moving along in third gear and push the clutch in the unit still wants to move (or) When the clutch is pushed in the unit stops and you can't shift into any other gears ?

Here's the trans. break-down, Reference #30 page 2 washer has a beveled edge on the inside to help the shift keys enter the different gears. Make sure they didn't get flipped around on you.
    I have another thought once the above question is confirmed, You may not need to go back in the trans.

7_378032 Peerless 1.gif

7_378033 Peerless 2.gif

7. lawn6@bigpond

Thanks for the info Restrorob ,

Found those washer you told me about they are in right now . But on the diagram it show only 3 of those washer but in this unit was 4 . I have left one out and essembled it as to the diagram.The part 30A is just a smaller flat washer I take it's not a part 30 washer??

8. Restrorob

Thats correct 30A is just a flat shim washer, The part number page says there is only 3 #30 washers I don't understand how there were 4 in there.
    The trans. in the pic. is for the model unit you posted and that same model was produced in 93, 94 and 95 and they all have the same part # trans.
    You got me on that one, Hope you can get it sorted out though.

Good Luck

9. lawn6@bigpond

Restrorob: Have reinstaled gear box still have trouble not getting netual or when the clutch is pushed in still moves . I take it that those part #30 washers the bevel side faces the recess on the gear sprocket. So the shift key can enter or should they be so the shift keys can come back through easy .

Only thing I did this time was adjust the gear change lever where is fits on the box . Going put it back were it was , done as it was not lined up right before but I have no reverse now .

As I said before apart from leaving out 1 of those washer all was installed in correct order of the diagram.

10. Restrorob

Above is how they go in. If the trans. is assembled per diagram the only other thing I can come up with (going back to my question above. If the unit still moves when the clutch is pushed in) The drive belt is not stopping movement and this will cause hard shifting or locked up shifter while the engine is running. Toro uses Both 1/4 and 1/2 size belts on a lot of there units and they are whats refered to is a raw edge belt. If a standard aftermarket belt was installed this could be the problem. Check the belt, Engine pulley for any burnt rubber stuck in the groove, All belt guides which should be about 1/8" from the belt while clutch is out, Check the rear idler pulley guide for running in the center. I only install OEM belts on Toro's for this reason.
    Now the shift detent, I have seen too many times where a customer would hook something with that shifter sticking out there and bend the crap out of it then complain no reverse or no high gear or moving in neutral. Look down through the fender at the two flat plates on each side where the clutch cable mounts, Where the shifter goes through the fender it should be parallel with the plates.

Maybe this info. will help, Gotta get to work !
    Good Luck