1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro mower....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ksland, Feb 17, 2004.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Thoughts on a oddball I found....

Leftover at the toro dealer a 2001 Toro Hydro 44" T-bar floating deck, 20 hp Kohler (no mistake) electric start for $4500;)
  2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

way too much IMO
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats great power for that size deck. and hard to find. It must have been a special order or switched later. NOt a bad price for a hydro and foating deck, but it is 3 years old. Find out how low they will go.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

If it has the vertical pin height adjusts stay away. 2001 was the first year some of the new design Walks were introduced.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't say "way" too much, except that it's hard to value a new mower that is 3 model years old. I got a price of $4000 a couple of years ago on a 2002 44" with the weaker 15hp kohler and no e/s. So add in maybe $300 for electric start, and maybe $600 for the stronger twin cylinder engine, and that's $4900. So around 10% off that for it being a leftover sounds roughly right. Depends on how much bargain hunting you do and what your local market is. I couldn't break down the $4000 barrier with toro back then so I passed.

You can get a Gravely 48" floating deck prosteer 15hp kawi for maybe $4100 and have a similar if not superior steering system on a newer model, so that's something to compare this deal with. The power isn't nearly the same, though. But it may be fine for most use.

I owned a Toro 44" hydro for a short while and will say that unless it's the "classic" horizontal pin deck you probably won't like the traction (improperly balanced, deck seems too heavy) and the steering is a little jumpy for my tastes. I bought mine used and sold it after a few months. Worked well with a velky to weigh down the rear but spun tires a lot w/o one.