Toro mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Apr 10, 2000.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Well,finally I've had enough.My Kubota T1760<br>with catcher has finally pissed me off!<br>It has a liquid cooled 17hp Kawasaki v twin,<br>and it is the most unreliable crap I have used. My question is,what is the Toro gear<br>like? I am looking at either a 921D or a<br>Z325.I need high speed,strenght and a real <br>nice cut.I also MUST be able to bag with it.<br>It is a requirement of most of my mowing jobs<br>over here.Toro and Walker are the only <br>decent American brand in Australia.Any advise<br>on the Toro gear is appreciated.<p>Thanks,<br>Karl

2. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Karl I hope this helps. I have a Toro grroundsmaster 18 horsepower, 44&quot; cut. The cut is great, the machine is reliable,bagging works great on grass and leaves. It gets hard to start when the temperature dips to near freezing in the fall which probably isn't a problem down under.<br>The Kohler engines only seem to last about 2500 hrs before needing rebuild. The heat coming off the engine in July is terrible!<br>If I had to do it over again I'd buy a Zero turn machine, but I have too much invested at this point to change. Hope this is of some help.

3. southside

Kermit,Whats the groundsmaster like speed-wise? I only do large commercial sites and<br>need a good ground speed.

4. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Karl, How about one of those Dixie Choppers with the grass catcher mounted on it. I was at a dealer buying my 2 new choppers that I will use for side discharge and a local contractor came in told me the catcher is the best thing since sliced bread. He said that it never clogged up and still moves along at high speed. <p>Chris

5. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Karl, I only do high end residential so the 7mph speed doesn't matter to me. If speed is one of your primary concerns there are higher speed machines.

6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Karl,<p>We tested Toro and Walker last fall (among several other brands as well) and for a residential-specific machine that'll be bagging alot I'd definately go Walker. But we've got alot of large commercial properties, and whether residential or commercial we generally don't bag. We bought a Toro Z-150 52&quot; Z-Master ZTR. It's fast and can be purchased with a bagger attachment. <p>What about going with a Toro Z-256E fuel injected 26hp 72&quot; deck? Goes like a bat out of hell. You can mulch instead of bag. Haven't tried it, but the recycler deck is supposedly amazing where mulching of grass is concerned. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

7. kermit wrote:<p>&gt;. I have a Toro grroundsmaster 18 horsepower, 44&quot; cut<p>Thats a sweet little machine to attach a tine<br>rake, spreader, aerator, whatever to the front.<br>

8. southside

nlminc, sorry no Dixie Choppers here.They<br>seem like an awesome machine though.Only Toro<br>ztr mowers with baggers ar Z325 & Proline<br>821D,921D available here.We only do commercial mowing on large subdivisions so<br>we need a machine that does a nice finish,<br>moves at the speed of a thousand raped apes,<br>and bags grass.(Most customers here are real<br>anal retentive about bagging).:)<br>We cut mainly Queensland Blue Couch<br>(stolonizing) at 2&quot; height.<br>We looked at a Z325 today and I was reasonably impressed.Same bagging setup as<br>the Walker.Its got 25hp Kohler command in it.<br>Our only other option that I can see is<br>a Kubota G1800 4WS with bagger.<br>Any comments?<p>Karl