Toro MPR vs. TVAN spray nozzles: GPM debunking

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 7, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

There's been statements made on this forum that VAN nozzles tend to be "water eaters" compared to standard fixed-arc nozzles. Since we've just switched from the standard MPR (matched precipitation ratio) nozzles to the TVAN (Toro variable arc nozzle) nozzles I decided to carefully look at the performance charts of each.

Final conclusion: In some radii under specific PSI the MPR nozzles use less GPM than TVANs while under other specific PSI and radii the TVANs actually use less GPM than the MPRs. In some instances the GPM may actually flipflop between the two in the range from 90 degrees to 360 degrees nozzles in the middle of a given PSI range. At least with this particular manufacturer there seems to be differences, some slight while some greater.

I did a random non-scientific and non-controlled CAD test where I took different areas and designed them with both types of nozzles and varying arcs to see what the overall zone GPM would be. It's variable but not to the extreme.

So... the statement, at least as my studying of Toro spray nozzles goes, that "VANs use more water than standard nozzles" is not factual as a general statement. :nono: :)

2. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

From my observation of RB and Hunter VAN vs MPR nozzles, the 8' radius VANs are the only ones that use significantly more water than their 8' MPR counter parts. 10', 12'&15' nozzles are all pretty similar.
    Actually the RB 4' &6' VANs take a lot of water, but there really isn't any comparable RB MPR nozzle.

The only exception I am aware of when it comes to VANs are the ones that K-Rain makes, they use quite alot more water than any of the comparable RB or Hunter MPR or VAN nozzles

3. If I wasn't so far beyond van technology in a positive way I would take Purp's finger waving as a challenge to test his theory but since I throw all the vans away I remove I'd have to buy some to test his theory. SO it ain't gonna happen. But that could change depending on what my assistant has in inventory. ( I think he secretly uses vans and stocks them in a hidden crevice of his service vehicle.)

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've been able to accomplish things with VANs that are a bit beyond the norm. A Rainbird VAN combined with one of their PCS screens can do more with less water than standard nozzles can, and some unique patterns can be achieved.

5. PurpHaze

I'm not trying to convince anyone to switch from their brass nozzles to VANs or any standard plastic nozzle. I was just comparing the charts and then responding to that particular general statement. I wasn't trying to wag too much. :)

Henry sounds like a smart young man. :laugh:

6. PurpHaze

I'm not quite sure that it would be proper to compare one manufacturer's nozzles with another's nozzles. I was trying to keep it within one manufacturer and compare VANs to standard nozzles by the same manufacturer. Maybe I should expand my unscientific reasearch? :)

7. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose that is the case, but I have noticed that Hunter and Rainbird nozzles are very similar. I can design a system for RB and use Hunter, and visa versa.

8. My issue with VANs which I guess by now one would have to say, " Gee that FIMCO/PIGTAIL guy is really closed minded", is philosophical as much as anything. To me the single most important part of a sprinkler system is that final act of the water being emitted from it's orifice. It's all a great opera to me and in the end the fat lady sings. Everything is done to make the final act as effective as possible. From pipe sizing, pressure reduction, design, material choices, etc. To have that final act performed by a futon nozzle is just repulsive to me. The challenge to me as a service person is to try and make somebody elses "water opera" more effective. The day I see it any other way is the day I need a career change. (I'm speaking STRICTLY for myself.)

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(looking for the 'translate' button) ~ opera?

10. Would jazz be more preferable?