Toro MX5060

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Aug 16, 2014.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

OK, Toro MX5060. Please correct me if I'm wrong; but Toro has what looks like a 50" ZTR for $3,521. I looked for warranty information, and didn't see any on the site. So, I am suspicious, just wondering what quality this mower is, if anyone is using it? I thought that ZTR mowers were about twice that price?

Just to add, I'm not looking to buy one of these, I'm just curious. So no hurry. :)

2. LawnMowerMan2003

I looked at the picture again and it looks like a commercial mower to me. But I suspect I am missing something. ;)

3. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe this is no more than a higher end residential zero turn.

4. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

website I read: "3-Year Limited Warranty - No Hour Limitation" it also had a wash out port so that makes it sound like a non-commercial model.

5. LawnMowerMan2003

I was wondering on that price. Even the Gravely Compact Pro ZTR says "starting at $6,359" for 34-44 inches. Anyway all this stuff is way out of my budget. I don't know why I'm looking at it. :)

6. LawnGuy110

We all do it dont feel bad

7. LawnMowerMan2003

lol I'm going to be looking at bigger mowers even more now that I just did a lawn that took 2 hours with my 20"! lol But I should probably be looking at used ones. :)

8. LawnGuy110

You would probably be better suited to start out looking at used hydro walk behinds. I started out with a push mower and upgraded to a brand new 48 belt drive. I look back now and wished I would have gotten a used hydro for around the same price. You can get a decent used hydro wb for around 3500 around here.

9. LawnMowerMan2003

Some people say to start with a belt drive. Is that because of less maintenance and lower price? The size is another issue. I would really like something 48" or larger, but right now it would only fit in 2 of my back lawns, so that wouldn't be very efficient. I'm probably going to end up needing 2 bigger machines, eventually. Probably a 32" to 36" for smaller lawns, and larger one for the big lawns. Right now I've been targeting small lawns, so I'll probably want a 32"-36" first.

Or, Great Dane used to make a mower than has a folding deck. I don't remember what it's called, but I saw one on LawnSite for sale maybe last month or so. If I can find out what it's called I'll post something. Seems like a great concept, because you can fit a 52" (or somewhere around there) through the gate and mow the back with it too. But I don't know how well they actually work, because I've never seen one from other companies.

10. LawnGuy110

It was called like the gatemaster or something like that I think. As I said, I chose the 48 before I got a 36 because I didnt have many gated properties and the ones that I did have were pretty small, enough so, that I just used my push mower to cut the back. If you are targeting smaller properties, get the 36 first, the difference between the 48 and a 36 production wise really isnt all that much. If you get the 36 first, Id get something along the lines of a 52/60 inch mower as your second one in the long run as the production can help you target larger properties as well.