Toro needs to be repaired

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Palmer Lawn Care, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Palmer Lawn Care

Palmer Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a old toro 21" that its engine was built in 1996, It was recently replaced last year with a brand new one. It has been sitting in my garage since that time and I want to get it back running again.

I dont know what to replace on it, so maybe you guys could help me out.

1)The starter string thing breaks a ton, the last year i used it I replaced the string at least 3 times in that one year.

2)Can hardly cut with a very sharp blade, when start it up and mow over some grass to have it cut off around 1-2 inches the engine stops or slows down to where it cant cut it

3)rear wheels bare, anyone know where I can buy new ones?

4)Hard to start, takes a long time to get it started

That is all is wrong with it, the main reason why i stopped using it was because of item #2

I would probably buy a new one, but I cant find it anywhere because I heard they stopped making them because of some environmental issues or something like that.

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/proline21/22040.html

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Wheel you should be able to get from your local Toro dealer. As for the engine, two options.
    1. My vote-install new engine. Cures all your engine problems and will be under warranty for awhile.
    2. Rebuild engine, may end up costing more if a shop does it, or should be cheaper if you rebuild it. If you rebuild it, I can give you step by step instructions for your rewind problem. More than likely there is something your missing when you replace the cord.

3. Palmer Lawn Care

from Maine

I think I will just install a new engine, so my Toro dealer would carry a new engine? or would I have to order it from someplace?

4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you local Toro dealer should be able to get it for you. However you may want to shop around for a better price.

5. Palmer Lawn Care

from Maine

Ok, Thanks a bunch :)

6. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

here is another option I had a snapper that I replaced a engine on went to wall mart found a cheap mower with the right length shaft it was cheaper to buy it then order a new engine and pulled it off put it on the snapper I sold the new frame for $5.00

7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Sounds like a good tune up is due. Maybe carb. work, etc.
    But if you want a new engine go to your dealer!