Toro No Start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gorper99, May 6, 2008.

1. gorper99

gorper99 LawnSite Member

I have a Toro single stage snowblower that was given to me.New in 2002 and last used in 2006.Looks new.I changed the plug,cleaned the carb and mixed fresh gas at 50:1.I have spark,compression and the plug is damp from gas.So it should at least start and run for a bit but it does not fire at all.Anyone have any ideas.:confused:
  2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

How did you check compression?

flywheel key could be broken, also check for air leaks and make sure you're not flooding it.

And befoe you start:
    Is the 50:1 the right ratio? Some toro engines need 32:1.
  3. gorper99

gorper99 LawnSite Member

50:1 is correct.Only has about 10 hours run time on it,so I do not think the seals would be bad.Just guess I will have to pull the engine to check key?Nothing was hit with it so how can the key shear?
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If the rope is not jerking back when you try to start I would not suspect a sheared flywheel key. If it is a Powerlite model it likely has a Tecumseh engine. Are you sure you thoroughly cleaned the bowl nut(main jet)? There are two ports in the main jet-- one in the side near the threaded portion and one axially. Have you tried giving it a shot of carb/choke cleaner to see if it will fire. If you have had a leaking carb you likely have fuel mix sitting in the bottom of the crankcase. If you succeed in getting it started, tip the handle down to the ground and you can successfully burn up the excess fuel in the crankcase although it will smoke like a diesel for a while. Did you pressure test the needle and seat to make sure it was holding pressure when you cleaned the carb?

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

hoot some starting fluid in the air cleaner if it starts your carb is gunked up. If doesn't start you got a weak spark
  6. gorper99

gorper99 LawnSite Member

Tried starting fluid and no fire.But when I remove plug and ground it and crank it,I have plenty of spark.Not much resistance when I pull it over,so I thought maybe a bad crank seal or bad rings.But this thing has hardly been used?No kickback at all so thought the key would be OK.Looks like I will have to completely disassemble it and check the key and maybe new coil?