Toro not Mulching

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TheGrassGuy, Sep 4, 2004.

1. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Super Recycler I use as a trim mower and for smaller yards. Lately I have been having to bag grass because the mower is not mulching well and leaving a trail of cut grass behind on the driest of days in August. I have checked and done a lot of things - spark plugs checked and looked OK, new air filter, sharp blades, clean deck. None of this seems to have helped. I have a governor spring on order which may help if the old one has lost tension. Is there anything else I can try?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

This may sound dumb but make sure the blade is not on up side down. You would be amazed how often that happens and how easy it is to do.

3. TheGrassGuy

The blade is on correctly. This machine was fine when new and great last fall with leaves.

4. TheGrassGuy

I may also have a small gas leak, the tank is dry after it sits for a few days even though I do not run it dry. I have checked to make sure there is gas in the tank when I put it away. It does not seem to be going in the oil and I don't see where it drips. Would it leak and evaporate in 4-5 days? Would this cause the motor not to reach the proper rpm range?

5. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

I had a un even cut from my toro ,hear it was the rubber tire came off the drive wheel,but stayed on 1/2 inch gap. It took me some time to find the problem.

6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Check the blade to see if it has been bent. Look to see if both sides of the blade are equal distance from the bottom of the deck.