toro OHV, will rings fix it?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Metalmacguyver, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Metalmacguyver

Metalmacguyver LawnSite Member

hello, i have a toro walk behind bagger. it has an OHV engine and an aluminum deck. it has a few years on it but it is still a very nice mower. it was sitting on the side of the road for free so i grabbed it. i took it home and it started first pull while i was just trying to see if it had a internal problems. i shut it down immediately because i had noticed that it had no oil in it. so i gave it a tune up and then came back to it a few days later. it started hard, (felt like hydro-lock) and began producing alot of blue smoke. when i say alot, i mean it. i was about 30 feet away from my house and i lost site of it in the blue smokescreen.

so i figured that i had found out why i was being disposed of in the first place. it needed some rings. so yesterday i went to see about putting some rings in it and i found two very interesting things. the first was spiraling striations on the cyclinder wall. the second was a piston that was loose enough to see the side to side movement when i pushed it and pulled it in that way.the movement was probably about one or two hundredths of an inch at the very most. anyway, it is loose enough for oil to seep by and fill the cylinder.

now i know that the spiral marks mean that the cylinder was re-honed at some point. that means that some one cared enough to give this mower some attention. what i dont know is if a set of rings would be enough to fix the problem.

this is a really nice mower and i can probably get $150 for it and considering that i just put over $1000 dollars into a scag (WHICH IS FOR SALE---$2000) which has left me broke, i need the money. thanks! and sorry about the long post

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The rock in the piston is normal, The marks in the cylinder are from cross hatching which is probably from the factory. You mentioned you went out a few days later and the engine was like hydro locked, We call it liquid locked and is caused from the carb. float valve leaking and filling the cylinder with fuel. When this happens the fuel seeps past the rings and into the crankcase causing a high oil level thus blowing smoke as you described. Check the oil for fuel contamination, If present change the oil and rebuild the carb. and you should be in business.

3. Metalmacguyver

Metalmacguyver LawnSite Member

ok ill check that out. the thing is that the oil looked fine but seeing as how i wasnt looking for anything in the oil at the time then theres no way i would have noticed something wrong. i did notice that it drained very quickly though which surprised me considering that the mower itself was somewhere around 40-45 degrees fahrenheit. the gas tank was also bone dry.

considering the overlooked symptomes and your diagnosis i think your absolutely right. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

After Getting the suggested repairs completed the engine will still smoke until all the oil and fuel mix is burned out of the muffler, Could take as long as 20 mins.

Good Luck