Toro or Bob Cat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at the

Toro Z100 Master riding mower with a 17 hp Kaw 44 in deck for $5895

and

Bob Cat ZTR model 942201 with 48 in deck 19 hp Kaw for $5995

now can you all please help me decide on one of them.

2. MowForReal

MowForReal LawnSite Member

Definately don't get a 17HP rider. That is just not enough power. I have two Bobcat 23HP ZTRs which are literally a different breed from that 19HP model. If you're going to invest a lot a money, why not spend another $1500 and get a much more productive mower? But to answer your question, I would go with the 19HP Bobcat because of the larger engine(and the 4" bigger deck).

3. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I have the Toro 44" Z100. Mine has the SFS deck. It gives a good cut but when the grass is wet it leaves clumps sometimes. I have tried the high lift and gator blades. The highlift seem to be better. I think if I were buying another ZTR I would not buy the Toro. I would buy a machine capable of mulching. I would also consider the width of the machine. Not the cutting size but the tire footprint. I think a machine with a wider footprint would do better on hills. The Z100 is not good on hills.

I do not know much about the Bobcat. I have a friend with a 61" Bobcat ZTR. He loves it.

I suggest you demo both before you buy and keep in mind that this is only my oppinion and someone else will have a different one.

Good luck.

4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I also have to agree that the 19hp would be better.

5. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

spend the loot get the bigger motor

6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I recently had the same decision to make. I demo'd both machines and the Toro had a better cut, and was faster.

Before the demo I was leaning toward the bobcat because I use their wbs. The 17 hp kaw is a strong enough engine to mow everything except grass that is a foot tall.

I think you will be happy with either machine, but the Toro was my choice after riding both of them.

7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

When buying equipment you must not only consider the present, but also the future. I know cost is a big concern, but you will soon out-grow the tiny 44" deck.

You should really consider the 62" deck. You will be able to cut almost everything with the 62" that you can now cut with a 44".

After you buy a 44" machine and realize you need a bigger, stronger, faster one, then you will wish you had (somehow) found the extra money to buy it in the first place.

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Toro Z255 with the 25hp and 62" deck,i can't understand you said the wet grass was clumping.. Mine cuts wet grass as good as dry, must be the blade tip speed. I think i would be looking to the future also and get the larger deck and more horse power. Marks Mowing Service

9. dhicks

dhicks Member

I also use a Toro Z-255 and it will go thru wet grass with no problems. If the SFS deck is not cutting properly and it's clumping make sure the engine at full throttle is taching at 3600 rpm, and make sure the underdecking is clean. My SFS deck is great but mine does not tolerate even a moderate build up of caked on grass and dirt.