Toro or Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MuskTurfKing, Sep 15, 2001.

1. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Next year I'll be purchasing a 36" W/B hydro. I don't want a belt, and I don't want anything bigger.

I want your opinion on these mowers and the price I got.

Toro T-Bar 15Hp 36" Hydro --$4199
    Toro Pistol grip 15Hp 36" Hydro --$3900

Exmark Turf Tracer HP 15Hp 36" --$4500
    Exmark Turf Tracer HP w/ ECS 15Hp 36" --4590

Whatever I get, I'm going to use a velkie.

Tell me whatcha think...thanks ya.

2. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

If the only choice to be considered is Toro or Exmark I would choose Exmark. I feel it is better built than the Toro.

The new Gravely 1536 Hydro will be available in Spring for $3999 promotional price. Add a grass catcher and a Velke and you are up to $4510.00 plus tax.

I commend you for choosing a will like this choice immensely.

Barry Adamski
    Gravely Engineer

There for you for over 85 years.
  3. Exmark I favor 'em

which ever one you get it's your choice they are about the same mower. But the T-bar isn't going to be good on hills. Does the Toro pistol grip have a floating deck? Floating deck will be a little better in height changes. The ECS I still can't get used to it yet. So I can't say anything about it.

Why don't you check both of them out on their web sites. Compare the 2 and see which one will suit your needs.

4. Tony

Tony LawnSite Member

I like the Exmark ECS handles the best, it feels very comfortable and it should make you more productive. Also look at the Bronco wheels by Trimmer Trap, they are built extra heavy duty. They use needle bearing in swivel points, and a replaceable bottom pan. Tony

5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

If I were gonna spend 4500 for a mower I would spend a little more and get a ZTR. However for about 3000 you can get a nice belt drive walkbehind. Both eXmark and Toro are good machines, I personally only run eXmark and am happy with them.
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

No offense, but $4000 for a 36" wide deck!! I think that is insane. I know you said you did not want any bigger, but why? Do you have to put it in the truck? I a commend you for being 15 and working, but bigger is better. I am not too older than you. I am 18 own a paid for 60" Chopper, and I love the productivity and the sittin'! Anyway good luck to ya and watch out for that dog crap.
  7. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I want the 36" Hydro for many reasons.

1. Gates, hate em, but gotta live with em.
    2. Hydro will up productivity and will pay for itself.
    3. I have a lot of steep hills.

Sure, I can get a decent belt, but why not just go with a hydro? I think it will profit in the long run. I definately know bigger is better, but wouldn't it be better to get something that will last and make the work easier on me, I plan on running the 36" and my lawn tractor. After a year or so, I'll step up and get a 60" Z...I'm only 15, I'm just trying to build up slowly and have a variety of equipment.

P.S. - I know I'm rambling. LOL ;)
  8. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

A 36" machine is a good starting point. Don't let the others talk you out of it. You will not have to turn down any work because your machine is too big. If your business grows, then add a bigger machine . Also, the extra money for the hydro is well worth the expense in the long run. Take good care of the machine, and you will get many, many years of produtivity out of it. BTW, I just purchased a Snapper 36" hydro with floating deck, 14 hp Kaw. for about $3600. Good luck.
  9. casey

casey Guest

I run both the 36 Toro Hydro's & Exmark 36 TTHP's. In the spring we use the Toro's for side discharging heavy growth, the rest of the season we use the Exmark's for mulching. The Exmark deck is terrible in heavy growth (alot of clumping) the Toro SFS deck is excellent in thick turf. The TTHP is a better machine control wise & for cut quality if you don't have alot of heavy growth to deal with.
  10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I had a Toro, and hated the Tbar design. Had some good points, but was not good for tight turns! Have you considerd a Wright Stander 36. It is Hydro, and you ride standing up. Price is not much different. I have also heard about Dane having a Gateway made to fold up and go through gates that a 36 can! Just some thoughts.