Toro or Gravely or other ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Apr 4, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I am looking at the Toro z100 compact which is a 44" ztr and has a 19hp Kawasaki, or the Gravely pm44z with a 17hp kawasaki, I really cant go any bigger than 44". Also any other mowers out there that are of equal durability and quality. I Im leaning towards the Toro because everyone uses em down hear and they look overall better built than most of the comp.
    Thanks for any advice

2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

1st choice the scag z-cat is well built and has a 42" cut w/19 kaw on it. plenty of power for cutting. the scags are built really good.

i2nd choice would be the gravely they are a sweet machine and are a little cheaper and still with a great cut.

3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

If i were you i would go with the Toro i have one and have never had any problems with it and it has always held up great. If i were you i would go with the toro

4. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

try the hustler; very well built. they have a 44" and a 19 horse mini; as well as a 23 hp

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I think you should look at Ferris. The IS 1500 with a 44" deck has a 19 hp kawasaki and 4 wheel suspension for a smoother ride and the Ferris may just be cheaper than the ones you are currently looking at. The IS 1500 series are very reasonably priced. In my opinion they give you more for your money than anything.

6. egbaker

egbaker LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I second the Ferris. The suspension makes an amazing difference in the ride, they are rugged machines.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Here is the real answer.

Talk to some other LCO's in the area and see who has better service. I chose Gravely over Toro based on a few features that I liked better on the Gravely. Now I wish so much that I bought a Toro. And it isn't because I don't like my Gravely. Great machine, Gravely stands behind it completely. They completely replaced my hydro system when it developed a problem.

The issue is the Toro / Scag dealer is a great guy, knows down time costs us money, runs a very efficient business. The Gravely dealer is a fool and puts commercial stuff behind homeownner stuff in the repair line. Doesn't know anything about the accessories and the like. Always has to order repair parts.

Guess who I used for a new mower purchase today. Yup bought the new 36" Scag ZTR. And guess who will never see me again other than for warranty work and maybe not even for that.

Moral: It isn't only the mower you are buying.

AND demo, demo, demo.

8. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

Get the Toro or maybe an ExMark...Toro's commercial division!

9. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

Take Hustler... or Scag...you can’t go wrong with "other" LOL! :blush:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

10. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

purchased
    2 - pm 260z 60" diesel ,last year
    1- pm 260z 60" gas , this year
    gravely, makes a great product...................

:blob3: :angel: payup