Toro or Gravely??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by locked out lawn guy, Jul 1, 2006.

1. locked out lawn guy

locked out lawn guy LawnSite Member

I'm a newbie again, I mowed commercially about 6 years ago, for a large lawn care. Since a recent involuntary job change i'm started up mowing again. My question is I have two 21" push mowers i'm looking to get a walk behind. Here's what the local mower sales have in stock. Used.

36" Gravely pro 1336 floating deck, belt drive for 2000$ 18hrs.
    52" Toro T- Handle 1,150$$ :confused:

Would any of you mess with either, or prefer one or the other and why?
    I used all John Deere stuff when I mowed before. Didn't really like them.
    And easy with the brow beating, only if it's good. :hammerhead:

2. brizz

brizz LawnSite Member

Gravely is second rate and the Toro tends to scalp alot.
  3. brizz

brizz LawnSite Member

A true mowing machine. Unless you want to put down the money and get a Hustler
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Both Gravely and Toro are good machines.
    The real question for you is what is the intended use of the mowers.
    Provided you are mowing larger properties, obtain the larger machine.
    Gated, or smaller properties with more obstructions, the more narrow deck is actually to your advantage.
    Since you do not mention actual age of the machines, at first review, the Gravely is the better choice if it has the pro-steer and not the pistol grips, yet you need to decide on what is best for your application.
    I have several Pro G 36 wb that my crews use, and the feedback on the machines is very positive. The pro-steer has saved me a bunch of money on busted hands when mowing next to the rocked homes and walls common in my area.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

My @$$ gravely is a second rate machine.

It all depends on what you are going to mow with these. Do you have large yards to mow where the 52 would be usefull or are you cutting postage stamp lawns with gated back yards where the 36 would finish first? Depends alot on those factors. How many hours on the toro?
  6. locked out lawn guy

locked out lawn guy LawnSite Member

So far I do not have a job big enough for the toro. I'm not sure of the hours but It does have a one wheeled sulky. Ok heres a couple more for ya.

1994 36in. Ransom Bob cat with 14hp kohler motor 1,250$
    Billy goat 33in. with new catcher 900$ ???
  7. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

The gravely sounds good, low hours, like others said it would be good for getting into small yards and gates.
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

that is quite possibly the most ignorant statement I've read on here in a couple days.

Gravely is an excellent machine. I own 2 - 50" wb's, and 260Z rider. Toro's are also excellent machines (#1 on golf courses worldwide). Scalping is not a problem of toro, it is a problem of the operator.

It really depends on what you're cutting, under 1/3 of an acre I would get the 36". If you're going to be doing bigger lots (look around your target area) then I would go with the larger machine.
  9. brizz

brizz LawnSite Member

I was a dealer for Gravely there isnt anything you can tell me about the machines. They cannont take the heat here ....wet heat.... humidity. I dropped the line and picked up Dixie CHopper about a month ago because I started my crews using them. Gravely IS SECOND RATE and I'd take a SNAPPER over them.
  10. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good price on the Gravely. I started out with an ExMark Metro 36" walk-behind. Have used it for about 4 years. Just purchased a new ExMark Phazer and will use the Metro for a backup mower now.