Toro or Honda?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I am looking into a 21" for next season. I'm trying to decide who's got the better machine. Is it Toro or Honda? I mulch and will probably be bagging in the fall. Do you have to change blades when going from mulching to bagging? I'm looking at the big commercial ones, the Big Daddy's. I'm a Toro believer in mulching but what's making me think twice is my dealer isn't really all that great. I've got a better dealer for Honda. What's the wise choice here?

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro personal pace are nice

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

On your post you said you were lokking at 21" mowers, then you said "the big commercial ones" "the big daddys".Are you still talking about 21" or 48" or larger walk behinds?

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a early 80's model commercial 21" honda. Countless hrs on it. Still cranks on first pull. Also has a better deck. Steel deck verses alum. on the toro.

In mid size, DO NOT BUY A HONDA!!!!! Honda should stay out of the mid size market.

Eric

5. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Just the other day you were looking at exmarks and now you are looking at 21" mowers????? Anyway I like the honda and agree with hoss they start on the first pull, last forever, and are tough as nails.

6. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

there have been previous posts recently on the toro, i love the 21" but it is not the best mulcher. I have seen countless hondas destroyed and never seen a toro need much work. For more info on the toro search toro 21" and you will find a very thourough review of the equipment.

and to 65hoss i have a honda 52" that i really like but i agree they do have many problems. not to discourage anyone from buying one of the best machines. 2nd to of course ferris.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, let me correct my statement on midsize. The true gear is the one I had. It would beat you up trying to use it. Bought it new in march and sold it in July. Bought an exmark 36 walkbehind. Should have bought it in March, I believe it is the best purchase i made this year.

I see a lot of the hondas 21" around all the time. Very rare to see a toro in my area. Most commercial guys don't want an aluminum deck.

8. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing but the best HONDA i have three 21" one is 12 years old and still going strong. never met a Toro i liked.

9. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Very hard chioce.Here is my opinion.

Honda Pro-engine will never die,very tuff machine,very good mulcher,cuts good in the wet.

Honda Con-Very expensive parts.Up here one wheel will cost you $60!!!!Almost all parts are expensive compaired to other brands.

Toro pro-close to reliability to honda but not quite as good.cheaper parts than honda,some models have a very cool self cleaning deck,you hook up a garden hose and it powers the blades and sprays the deck at the same time!Awsome warrenty on engine if it does not start in 2 pulls it will be repaired for free.

Toro con-parts and dealers may be a little less common than honda.multching is as good as honda and does not preform as well in the wet.

you tell me what's better????I shure will have a hard time choosing when I buy my next 21''!!!!

10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

ok here is my opinion again. the 21" toro that i was refering to is the 21" commercial 2cycle. I do not recomend any other toro. the commercial is absolutely industructable. i ruber/steel wheels, belt drive(never sliped yet, super reinforced handles. Easily adjustable speed control, will go as fast as you (or employee) can.

the honda has plastic wheels that often break($60?) and the handles are attached w/ only two bolts. tehn the gear box is not smooth (grabs to engage)and wears out easily. The honda is a slow machine.

as i posted on the other toro discussion i used my toro 20 hours a week and would never do that with a honda.

I have used the honda and toro both extensively and woudl recomend spending the extra money for the toro.

hope this helps.

s_marquart@hotmial.com