Toro or Scag?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by xrayguy, Apr 8, 2006.

1. xrayguy

xrayguy LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner who used to be in the lawn business (before the ZTR boom) and I need some professional advice. I live on 2 acres that has a good sized hill sloping off the back. I am looking at the Scag Tiger Cub with the 48" Velocity/24H Briggs and the Toro Z400 with 52"/19H kawasaki(not turbo force deck). My main goal is to get the machine with the best cut quality. Last year I bought a Hustler MiniZ without demoing it. BIG MISTAKE, it went back to the factory. It was solid as a rock and performed well on my hill, but the cut quality was horrible and the dealer was worse than that. I will give Hustler credit for stepping in and taking care of me. I think that I had a lemon, but I also think that Hustler has, or at least had, deck quality issues that they won't own up to. No more Hustler's for me.

I like the build on the Scag and have heard good things about them in commercial use. I like the deck on the Toro alot and hear that they have very good customer service and parts availability. The cash price for the mowers is 5800 for the Scag and 5300 for the Toro. This is without any serious bargaining so I might do even a little better. I have also looked at Exmark because I know that they are good cutting machines, but I can't get one for these prices and I'm not going to spend much more than 6000 OTD. I will demo these mowers before I buy, although they are at 2 different dealers in 2 different towns. I would greatly appreciate any advice from you professionls who use these machines daily and know alot more about them than me. Thanks:)
  2. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

scags give i good cut if not a great cut. i have a cut 48 19hp kawasaki. with the marbain blades it comes with it does do a great job. hills are perty good to for a smaller framed ztr but not as good as a full sized ztr on hills. hope i helped

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag hands down to me great cut,resale,best warranty toro fine they run em here but scag for me plus the extra horse power.
  4. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

i have a scag and love it.. do no get the briggs and straton engine they are crap.. kawi or honda
  5. xrayguy

xrayguy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I would prefer to have the kaw or honda motor, but I don't know if it is worth the extra 400-500$. I will probably be looking at putting approx. 50 hrs or less per year on the mower, so the dealer says that I should be fine with the Briggs. Either of these mowers are probably overkill for me, but I would rather pay 5-6K for a commercial mower than buy a 3-4K "residential" ztr from Lowes.
  6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

19 HP sounds underpowered for a 52" cut to me. I'm at nearly 3000' elevation, and that makes a big difference. At sea level, you may be OK. I don't like Briggs, but I've heard that their larger engines are much better than the little ones. Even if that's true, I'd be VERY reluctant to buy one based on previous experience.

When I was shopping, none of the Scag dealers were negotiating on mower pricing. I think it's part of their dealership contract. They WOULD negotiate on a grass catcher, discount for cash, etc., just not the mower itself.
  7. xrayguy

xrayguy LawnSite Member

Steve, neither dealer was interested in lowering prices until I offered to pay with cash. Do you think that 5800 is a good price for Tiger Cub with the Briggs? Thanks
  8. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

$5995 is the going price down here.
  9. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

mass prices for the tiger cub-

48 Velocity Plus Cutter Deck w/19 KAI $6,900.00
    52 Velocity Plus Cutter Deck w/24 Honda $8199.00

if your only putting 50 hours a year go ahead but the briggs go to only about 400 from what i hear.. no one around here that i have seen has a briggs engine

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I know briggs and there past, unless it's a vanguard i don't think scag would put a junk moter on there units it's got a two year warrenty man if it goes they replace it.