Toro or Troy Bily?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by McGaw, May 23, 2008.

1. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hi there,
    I'm looking for a decent mower that will last me a long time. Must be 3-in-1, ad gas. I've narrowed it down to;

Toro 22" 6.75hp personal pace from Home Depot for $499.00

Troy-Bilt 160cc/ 21" high wheeled self propelled from Canadian Tire for $449.99

I'm also wondering if the personal paces are going to be able to keep up? Like are they too slow to be productive as commercial units? Thank you.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Toro. For $300 more you can get a commercial Snapper with a Kawi, oil filter, and steel wheels.
  3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

THe Toro 22", unless they've changed it, only comes with finned blades and you cannot mulch with them. I have one and it's a dedicated bagger. It doesn't get used much anymore, just a back up really. It will break down on you fast if you start using it 10-15 hours a week.
  4. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Where would I go to find one? Are they any good?

It says it's a 3-in-1, meaning it does mulch.
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Toro all the way!!!

Never buy Troy Bilt...good back in the 80's...not anymore.
  7. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

My father-in-law has had a personal pace for about 4 years now and it has been broken over half the time. The gear or something in the drive wheel keeps breaking. It is made of plastic. He has had to order and replace that part I know for sure 3 times in four years. He only uses/used it to mow his yard. He has since purchased one of the composite deck hondas from HD and other than it being very heavy he loves it.